Clock Turn Motor Charge Cellphone

Seen lots of people like this, I call them "Friendly Users".
They are only friendly because they want to use you. ( To implement their "brilliant" idea, cos its so "easy")
Ugh. Not worth giving them the time of day.

I think this whole thread is nuts.... But that is only MY OWN OPINION.

Incidentally, I have heard this idea before and to my knowledge, it is doo-doo. I have never heard of anyone making it work.

Kind of mixed feelings on this one. I could see the benefit of having a device that would be able to charge a cellphone if you were in a remote area and did not have any other source of power. That said, I think there are a lot more efficient way to accomplish the same task.

Some back of the envelope calculations show you would need to wind up a clock spring with about 60 ft-lbs of average torque for thirty seconds to store enough energy to provide 3 watts of power for a half an hour (neglecting mechanical losses) . It sounds like this person bought a bill of goods from one of the many snake oil salesmen the permeate the internet now days. As kids, we all had wind up toys that functioned in much the same fashion. I don't recall that they commanded our attention for very long.

I have had similar requests from various people in the past. They did not have enough technical ability to design and execute their ideas and did not have enough scientific background to realize it was doomed to failure. I usually try to distance myself as quickly as possible.

Googled this guy's email address: reckon he's not playing with a full deck :)
Yeah, I googled him yesterday, but figured one snide remark in this thread by me was enough already. So, I'm refraining... I'm refraining... I'm refraining... my head is not going to explode.... my head is not going to explode...

Cellular phones can charge from a USB port which supplies 5 v dc at about 1 amp. That is only 5 Watts so a crank-up device seems quite feasible. To put that into perspective for machinists, one horse power equates to about 750 Watts. Your body can put out about 125 W or more so you wind up a spring with your energy and it gets converted to the electrical energy later on to charge up the battery.
Another "power perspective": my main hobby is ham radio (for 50 years this year) and I can communicate directly (no cell sites:)) across much of the globe using a transmitter that puts out only a few Watts.
Best Regards, Pete

Cellular phones can charge from a USB port which supplies 5 v dc at about 1 amp. That is only 5 Watts so a crank-up device seems quite feasible. To put that into perspective for machinists, one horse power equates to about 750 Watts. Your body can put out about 125 W or more so you wind up a spring with your energy and it gets converted to the electrical energy later on to charge up the battery.
Another "power perspective": my main hobby is ham radio (for 50 years this year) and I can communicate directly (no cell sites:)) across much of the globe using a transmitter that puts out only a few Watts.
Best Regards, Pete
Well, yes and no.

Its kinda the difference between theory and practice.

A design engineer can dream something up and tell me what a piece of equipment should do, but as an operating engineer I can tell him what it will do.

To use the example of the crank up cell phone charger, I have a friend who subscribes to the " prepper" mentality. He's got all sorts of crank up radios, light, chargers and assorted what nots.

Quite proud of himself actually and tends to laugh at me sometimes when I tell him my simple military survival training and some basic items will do me just fine if needed (I have advanced aircrew survival and escape training so its just a little bit more than I tell him). He has to move out with truckloads of stuff and sneers at my thoughts of all I need is good clothes, a good knife, means for making fire, some 550 chord (some snare wire too) and water purification stuff. If I'm so inclined I'll chuck a small cheap am/FM radio in a pocket.

One day he's going one about he'll be able to crank charge his cell phone if needed. He proceeds to try and charge his cell phone. 15 mins later he's sweating like a pig and not one bit of change in the cell phone battery. Just not enough poop in the stuff he's using. The problem is that while they may run a cheap am radio or an led flashlight, they just don't have the jam to make a significant difference to a cell phone.

Cant see a spring device being any better. Probably worse as the spring in a handheld device can only store so much energy until it need to be "recharged"

Oh, that couple watts you use to talk around the world isn't exactly all that going on (which you know since you're a ham). Those couple watts go to a local repeater which bumps it up and fires it to the network of repeaters. Without that power, a couple watts is only going miles in the single (maybe double) digits.

Unless you're talking AM and you happen to catch skip. My 12 watts of CB has gotten as far away as Ireland before on a good night. That's pretty cool.

Or, if you live back in the Ozark woods somewhere and are operating any one of the number of mega watt AM/CB stations.....we've all heard those guys (if you mess with radio at all that is). I swear, I don't know how those guys don't give themselves cancer or make themselves sterile....

Last edited:
Did the same. Especially interesting was the Google+ page.

"I think this boy's cheese slid off his cracker"
Have you thought about posting this in the favorite phrases thread? Othets may find humor in a cheese cracker joke.
Jack

Back