Custom Rear End For My Kawasaki.

I think I commented on the other thread that you posted these pictures on, but I will comment again. Very nice and impressive work.

Quick question, on the brake rotor hub did you machine the sections out between the rotor mounting tabs first and then set up each of the four tabs in the rotary table to get the radius around each of them where they blend into the center diameter? I hope what I am asking makes sense. Just curious as to your sequence of operations on that hub.

Mike.

I think I commented on the other thread that you posted these pictures on, but I will comment again. Very nice and impressive work.

Quick question, on the brake rotor hub did you machine the sections out between the rotor mounting tabs first and then set up each of the four tabs in the rotary table to get the radius around each of them where they blend into the center diameter? I hope what I am asking makes sense. Just curious as to your sequence of operations on that hub.

Mike.

Yes, that is pretty much how I did it.
I tok care when designing the rotor hub so that it would be as easy as possible to machine using the rotary table.
All angles are whole numbers and inner radii matches the diameter of the end mills I used. The outer radii around the tabs are exactly 180 deg.
Here is a drawing of the rotor: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/399336/Pictures/Posted_THM/Rotor Adapter/Rotor_Adapter.pdf

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, but was curious as to the sequence.

Again, fantastic work. Thanks for sharing.

Mike.

Hi
"I made a stainless steel sleeve for the axle hole and it's a press fit."
why, why not just leave it, as is.
Great work, i must get a mill, & upgrade my lathe, it is only 10"x 22"
more photos or a video please :eagerness::eagerness::eagerness:

What rpm did you run that 2 insert end mill at? I've not used one of those, yet, and am wondering what a good rpm for those cutters is? For example, my max spindle rpm is currently set to about 5100 rpm.

EDIT: Oh, and love the bike. Had one of those when I was in the Marines and basically ran it to death between the base at 29 palms and the colorado river where I spent many a weekend rafting/tubing and drinking beer. :D

Hi
"I made a stainless steel sleeve for the axle hole and it's a press fit."
why, why not just leave it, as is.
Great work, i must get a mill, & upgrade my lathe, it is only 10"x 22"
more photos or a video please :eagerness::eagerness::eagerness:

Thanks Jeff.

My first plan was to not have a sleeve but I needed some clerance between the bracket and the swingarm.
Instead of having a 2.5 mm thick washer between the bracket and the swingarm I opted to make a press-in sleeve that protruded 2.5mm out from the bracket.

What rpm did you run that 2 insert end mill at? I've not used one of those, yet, and am wondering what a good rpm for those cutters is? For example, my max spindle rpm is currently set to about 5100 rpm.

EDIT: Oh, and love the bike. Had one of those when I was in the Marines and basically ran it to death between the base at 29 palms and the colorado river where I spent many a weekend rafting/tubing and drinking beer. :D

I ran it at 1700 rpm which is maximum on my mill. If you have 5100 rpm then you should be good.
I plan to replace the 4 pole 1.5 HP motor on my mill with a 2 pole 3 HP motor and a VFD. That should enable me to run 4000 rpm or even more.

What a beautiful improvement to the Kaw. The lightening holes give it some great character.
gbritnell

I ran it at 1700 rpm which is maximum on my mill. If you have 5100 rpm then you should be good.
I plan to replace the 4 pole 1.5 HP motor on my mill with a 2 pole 3 HP motor and a VFD. That should enable me to run 4000 rpm or even more.

That is basically what I have. Mine is converted to belt drive with a 3 hp motor and VFD. I won't go back to a gear head. :)

Back