Custom Rear End For My Kawasaki.

Very nice work on the 500. I rode an H2 with tuned exhaust that belonged to a friend in the mid seventies. It was a beast. You had to get out over the bars to keep the front end on the ground and it would bend the sprocket teeth from applied torque. Pretty tame by today's standards, but just amazing back then. Will look forward to seeing the swing arm. Mike

Next up in my project was finding an axle bolt and chain tensioners. The guy that made the sving arm said to use tensioners from late Kawasaki H2 so I bought a complete axel with spacers and tensioners on eBay. I figured I could probably use most of it, but I soon realized that the tensioners didn't fit and the shaft and spacers all had to be modified. Once again I decided to make it all from scratch so I purchased a piece of 38mm stainless steel rod for making the axel and spacers. I also designed my own chain tensioners which included some laser-cut stainless steel plates.

Made it all from scratch. Later on I sold the H2 parts.

Axle_Tensioners_01.jpg

Machining the outer part of the chain tensioners.

Axle_Tensioners_02.jpg

I made these from cast aluminum plate which leaves a bit dull finish, but it will polish up nicely later.

Axle_Tensioners_03.jpg

At first I only had a stainless steel sleeve in the nut side tensioner, but later I also added a sleeve to the other one.

Axle_Tensioners_04.jpg

The inside of the tensioners are laser-cut stainless steel plate, 3.0mm thick.

Axle_Tensioners_05.jpg

Here's the tensioners fitted to the swing arm.

Axle_Tensioners_06.jpg

The only thing I didn't make is the nut.

Axle_Tensioners_07.jpg

damn, that is stunning work! What an inspiration - this is why we have all these tools. Need something, think about it, make it. AND you make it look beautiful :)

Here's another bunch of pictures. This time it's all about modifying the swing arm to suit my needs.
The modifications are as follows:
  • I wanted to use a double needle bearing kit that comes with everything including the seal caps. It's actually an upgrade kit for a Z900. I needed to turn down the ends of the swing arm tubes to fit the seal caps, and since I couldn't put the swing arm in the lathe, I had to do it in the mill.
  • I wanted treads in the lugs where the shock absorbers are attaches and I used M10 x 1.25 Timeserts for this. The problem was installing the timeserts from the correct side because the swing arm has some welded on support brackets at the shock mounts.
  • I needed a stopper to prevent the caliper bracket from rotating when braking. I wanted two treaded M8 x 1.25 holes for mounting this stopper (again Timeserts). The challenge here was drilling inside the swing arm.

I made this tool to hold the swing arm on the mill table. Not the most rigid setup but plenty good enough for what I'm doing here.

Swingarm_Mods_01.jpg

I like to use a coaxial indicator. I find it easier than using a test indicator and it's accurate enough for most applications.

Swingarm_Mods_02.jpg

I'm not sure what this is called so I'm just gonna call it "outside boring". I have to be careful here because we're running in reverse here and there is a risk of the boring head unscrewing from the arbor. I have loctited the head to the arbor just to be on the safe side.

Swingarm_Mods_03.jpg

The finished tube end. I had to go a little bit into the weld on this side of the swing arm.

Swingarm_Mods_04.jpg

Now the seal caps fit perfectly on the tube ends.

Swingarm_Mods_05.jpg

Here is the needle bearing kit I'm gonna use. The Kawasaki H1 is originally fitted with bronze bushings. This bearing kit is a nice upgrade to improve handling in addition to the much stiffer aluminum swing arm.

Swingarm_Mods_06.jpg

Time to add M10 x 1.25 threads to the shock absorber mounting lugs. I wanted to install the inserts (Timesert) from the outside but the welded on support bracket was in the way.

Swingarm_Mods_07.jpg

It turnes out the tap drill for the M10 x 1.25 Timeserts is 10.3mm (13/32'') which is perfect hole clearance for an M10 bolt, hence I could drill from the outside through the welded on brackets.
The second lucky coincidence was that the shank for the counter bore tool was 10.25mm so if I could only disassemble the tool I should be able to do the job. Luckily the cross pin attaching the cutting sleeve to the shank was made out of soft steel so I could drill it out.

Swingarm_Mods_08.jpg

So now I'm able to counter bore the hole using a temporary pin to drive the cutting sleeve on the shank.

Swingarm_Mods_09.jpg

Perfect result and ready for threading. Threading was done from the opposite side.

Swingarm_Mods_10.jpg

And here we have the end result, perfectly square.

Swingarm_Mods_11.jpg

The insert sticks out a little bit on the back but that's OK, it doesn't interfere with anything.
It is the end of the insert that expands and locks it in place when driven in using the supplied tool. Since this part of the insert is partially outside the hole, I decided to use Loctite, just in case.

Swingarm_Mods_12.jpg

And now, the holes for the caliper bracket stopper. Here I wanted to use M8 x 1.25 Timeserts. I needed to drill holes inside the swing arm so I bought this cheap wobbly angle gear for use with my drill motor. I tried fitting Timeserts to an aluminum test piece using this angle gear and it was impossible bore straight and with any positional accuracy.
I needed to make a drill guide tool...

Swingarm_Mods_13.jpg

... and here it is.

Swingarm_Mods_14.jpg

It registers in the axle slot on the swing arm.

Swingarm_Mods_15.jpg

The guide is attached and I'm ready to drill 4.0 mm pilot holes. Between each operation I took the drill guide tool back to the mill and modified it.

Swingarm_Mods_16.jpg

The drill guide holes have been enlarged in the mill using the tap drill bit form the Timesert kit, and we're ready to drill the swing arm.

Swingarm_Mods_17.jpg

I took the drill guide back to the mill and tapped the holes using the tap from the Timesert kit. Now I could use it as a tapping guide on the swing arm.

Swingarm_Mods_18.jpg

The holes are finished, perfectly square and perfectly positioned.

Swingarm_Mods_19.jpg

The stopper bolted in place using M8 countersunk bolts...

Swingarm_Mods_20.jpg

... and there is how the stopper interfaces with the caliper bracket.

Swingarm_Mods_21.jpg

The rear end is finished and ready to go on the bike. Once on the bike I will have to check alignment with the front wheel, which hopefully it is spot on. Then I have to align the front and rear sprockets which will be achieved by a combination of turning material off the rear sprocket carrier and spacing out the front sprocket.

Swingarm_Mods_22.jpg

And that's it. This is where I'm at now. I will post some more pictures once it's on the bike. Don't know when but probably within a couple of weeks.

Nice work. I have seen those right angle drill heads around for years and this is the first time I have seen one actually used.

"Billy G"

about running the mill in reverse to turn down the outside of the frame pivot tube - keep your eyes open for a left hand boring bar, then you can run the mill in forward to cut the outside of a piece without worrying about the boring head unscrewing.

P.K. is a steely-eyed missile man! For those who don't know that's the absolute highest of compliments...in NASA!

Back