Cutting oil vs Old motor oil and non-detergent oil

used oil space heater.
Yes, one of my friends heats his (large) shop with a commercial waste oil heater; he had to go to Nevada to buy it, not allowed in Ca., and not cheap either, cost over 2K as I remember.

For drilling, I had have good results with motor oil.
For turning, Tapmatic 1 or Lard oil + ATF had good results
For Aluminium, Kerosene or diesel (is easyer to find and cheaper)

All IMO; Any oil is better than no oil. Aside from lubricating cooling the cutter is the main thing the oil does. I have used Kerosene, motor oil, and special cutting oil. I have not seen any significant difference. The main thing is to keep the cutter cool and not get in a hurry and take to big a bite. don

One of my boiler service customer makes, machining cutting oils and draw lubricants (for the wire industry). So I get my steel, aluminum and stainless steel cutting oils from them. My friend's shop's waste oil heater gets all of my waste oil.

Interesting thread, i may try using used oil from a gasoline engine but certainly not thick sticky tar black oil from my diesel.

I much prefer water based coolants for work that requires cooling, such as drilling in the lathe, and use Tap Magic for jobs requiring lubrication, such as threading and parting off, although water works well for most parting off also. It does bother me that water based coolants have big problems with bio stability since the nitrites were removed from them many years ago; it seems that the companies that make these concentrates have made progress in the direction of stability over the years, but they get no cigar from me. Good 'ole soluble oil used to be bio stable (if messy) back in the day, but it is just as bad as the worst of the synthetic coolants at their worst, when they degrade they create a awful rust inducing withch's brew, guaranteed to turn hacksaw cuttings into a solid mass of rust that a hammer and chisel are necessary to remove. My plan for my hacksaw is to replace the water with a 50/50 mixture of cutting oil and kerosene, as recommended by Marvel saws for their machines; the mixture removes heat much better than oil alone.

Did I miss the scientific explanation of why / how cutting oil is different than engine lubricating oil? I caught the detergent part.
Why is non-detergent motor lubricating oil unsuitable as a cutting oil?
It is a question, not a challenge. :tiphat:

Cutting oils may be of a compounded formulation, combining petroleum and other oils such as animal and vegetable, which have higher unit bearing capabilities than straight petroleum oils; cutting oils also likely contain additives that promote free cutting and anti galling, such as chlorinated hydrocarbons and sulfur. An exception to some of this may be cutting oils that are used in automatic screw machines, where the cutting oil also lubricates many of the moving parts of the machine itself.

Back