Digital Readout For Tail Stock

kentuckyjim

Registered
Registered
I am looking for some guidance on adding some sort of digital readout on my tail stock. I make metal ferrules for fishing rods. I have been using drill stops to control depth but setup is tedious and the stop interferes with waste removal. I see there are setups similar to digital calipers for $40 to$100 . My experience with cheap digital calipers has been iffy at best and I question if they will respond fast enough to avoid over shooting the target. Anyone willing to share your experience?

The Igaging calipers are possibly the best of the import calipers. Many people have found ways to mount them on the tail stock and cross slide. Igaging also makes some scales designed to be mounted on machines. Some of the nicer models can be powered by a wall wort to avoid battery drain.

I use an Igaging Absolute scale, that I adapted to the tailstock. It works well and is very accurate, the scales have a very slight lag time, but it is not an issue when using it for the tailstock. Batteries have been going for many months, it has an auto shutoff after a couple of minutes. You can cut the scale if needed, but need to do it with a Dremel cut off wheel or similar carbide wheel because they are hardened SS. Ideally mount the scale on the back of the tailstock if there is room. Making a bracket is fairly straight forward. Beats counting revolutions and trying to read the analog scale. I have been very impressed with the accuracy and reliability of the Igaging Absolutes, I also use their calipers.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Absolute-Digital-Read-Out-6-/T26539

Absolute Tailstock DRO.jpg

Igaging is one of the brands I have been considering. I appreciate the brand feedback.

MKSJ
Thanks for the picture. I will be very proud if I can get a set up anyway near as clean as yours!

2 more questions:
If I used the igaging units on the carriage or cross slide will they keep up with feed?

Many units come with a long 6' cord for the read out. Can they be shortened?

2 more questions:
If I used the igaging units on the carriage or cross slide will they keep up with feed?

Many units come with a long 6' cord for the read out. Can they be shortened?

I also used the Igaging units for my lathe and mill and am very pleased with how they work. It really makes things a lot better on the eyes. As stated you can cut the scales as needed and they come with many mount pieces so that does help with installation but you may still need to fab some pieces. Good luck and you won't be sorry you invested in them.

Back