Digital Readout For Tail Stock

There is no special way to shorten them. I shortened mine with a hand held hacksaw and sanded them square. It won't hurt them one bit.

"Billy G"

I ordered a six inch model thinking I had plenty of room . It will mount up but the tail is in side the hand wheel and I know it will get hit turning the wheel.
Thanks for the guick reply Bill !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I used my Dremal tool with a cut off wheel for all 6 that I have installed on my mill and lathe. Had no trouble with them after shortening. The Dremal tool cut off left a nice clean cut off. Good luck and you will really the set up.

I use an Igaging Absolute scale, that I adapted to the tailstock. It works well and is very accurate, the scales have a very slight lag time, but it is not an issue when using it for the tailstock. Batteries have been going for many months, it has an auto shutoff after a couple of minutes. You can cut the scale if needed, but need to do it with a Dremel cut off wheel or similar carbide wheel because they are hardened SS. Ideally mount the scale on the back of the tailstock if there is room. Making a bracket is fairly straight forward. Beats counting revolutions and trying to read the analog scale. I have been very impressed with the accuracy and reliability of the Igaging Absolutes, I also use their calipers.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Absolute-Digital-Read-Out-6-/T26539

View attachment 123726
I just installed the same DRO on my tailstock but when testing I am not getting accurate readings when checking it with an indicator. It is usually about 10 thousands off or more. I called the company and they said it may because I am not supporting the tail end of the scale. I see you have mounted yours very similar to how I have mounted mine. It looks like you have done a much cleaner install than I have but it is basically the same set up. What do you think I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• TailstockDRO2.jpg
    TailstockDRO2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 10
  • TailstockDRO1.jpg
    TailstockDRO1.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 10
Back