Digital Readout For Tail Stock

I just use the graduation on the tailstock spindle. When did a drilled hole had to be held within .001"?

To address your questions on the Igaging Absolute scales:
The scales should be able to keep up with the cross slide, but there is a slight lag when the moving the scales quickly. I would say maybe 1/10 second, it is noticeable relative to glass scale readers. I believe this has to do with the refresh rate of the display. The scales are absolute in design, so they always retain their position whether they on/off or quickly advanced, this was a problem with the older scales.

The cables could be shortened but have not done that, I just folded the wire up and placed it in some shrink tubing.

I do a lot of small work pieces with a 5C collet system and also boring which requires resolution to 0.001" for everything to fit correctly. With the Igaging on the tailstock, you should be good for +/- 0.001".

2 more questions:
If I used the igaging units on the carriage or cross slide will they keep up with feed?

Many units come with a long 6' cord for the read out. Can they be shortened?
yes they will keep up, if you can solder little wires, anything is possible. . . .

Many units come with a long 6' cord for the read out. Can they be shortened?

When I ran my wiring through the flexible conduit, I cut and spliced the wires. It is a bit tricky but not unmanageable. If you get new connectors, rather than splicing, it should be easier.

I just use the graduation on the tailstock spindle. When did a drilled hole had to be held within .001"?
I’m with you. I don’t need another thingamajig gadget for my shop. Folks, try and test yourself with how well you can read the resolution on a scale. You might surprise yourself! It’s not that hard to read (maybe with eye loupe) say 0.005” resolution with a scale. A totally different story though, if you wanted some kind of digital or analog readout thing on the movement of the carriage…Dave.

I felt that way for a very long time, I remember biting my lip when a buddy (new to machining) added a readout to his tailstock. Then one day I added one to mine, probably to simplify getting a chamber reamer back into a barrel after clearing chips and never looked back. A $12 Harbor Freight caliper has never worked so hard.

tailstockreadout002.jpg

tailstockreadout002.jpg

tailstockreadout002.jpg

tailstockreadout002.jpg

Has anyone fitted a readout on a curvy tailstock ? My sheldon doesn't have an flat surface on it.

just make a curved adapter to fit your tailstock with a flat on it to mount the scale then measure from the bottom of the scale to the top of the tailstock ram to get the height you need for your clamp.

Back