found an enco 13"x40" lathe

It's hard to tell from the pics. Is there much of a ridge on the underside of the carriage? I would expect that there would be some wear, it's just something you have to allow for when you're cutting. (Unless you take Rich's scraping class). Hows the crossfeed screw and nut? If you screw the nut on and try to move it back and forth, it shouldn't have any slop in it. You can compensate for that when cutting by always taking up the backlash, but you'll find if it has a lot of wear it will be hard to hit the dimensions you're going for by using the dials. Of course you can eliminate that problem by just mounting a dro on it while your in the process of "cleaning" it.:))

Chuck

Re: found an enco 13"x40" lathe

Great pics Rich!

Quick comment here- I don't know if it looks dramatically different in person, but I am not convinced that the carriage advance gear is really worn, or just one meant to work with a worm gear, giving it that look.

Just trying to save you a few bucks up front. Unless it is cheap, then it is good to have around just in case. The plastic gear in the gearbox, related to threading, is worth making more sure about though.

So you are actually painting it and everything?! Wow, check you out. I only painted my first machine, an Atlas 618. After that I made things mechanically sound and got dirty making chips! Hah hah

Bernie

It's hard to tell from the pics. Is there much of a ridge on the underside of the carriage? I would expect that there would be some wear, it's just something you have to allow for when you're cutting. (Unless you take Rich's scraping class). Hows the crossfeed screw and nut? If you screw the nut on and try to move it back and forth, it shouldn't have any slop in it. You can compensate for that when cutting by always taking up the backlash, but you'll find if it has a lot of wear it will be hard to hit the dimensions you're going for by using the dials. Of course you can eliminate that problem by just mounting a dro on it while your in the process of "cleaning" it.:))

Chuck
I'll follow up with pics layer... it does not feel like an edge to me. I ran my fingernail across it. The half nut for the compound and the cross feel pretty
good.

Hey Bernie!
sorry this cell phone is horrible at editing posts... not sure why I was able to quote chucks post but not yours. I suspect its length of post.

I'll post up pics later of the lead screw gear it looks pretty worn to me.

As for cleaning and painting... that's a personal thing. The rustuleum enamel paint provides a great surface to clean and it looks good lol

Btw the price of the gears are darn reasonable compared Toronto
Rockwell parts lol
Metal wrm gear 84 dollars.
Brass lead screw gear 77 dollars
plastic change gear 96 dollars
As the budget allows I'll probably pick up all 3 over the next few months

Hey chuck
I
Meant to mention I already have the dro. :)

Thanks for the help guys

Rich

Here are some pics, the carriage, and the lead screw gear on the apron.
20130924_204753.jpg20130924_204746.jpg20130924_204800.jpg20130925_084655.jpg20130925_084719.jpg

20130924_204753.jpg 20130924_204746.jpg 20130924_204800.jpg 20130925_084655.jpg 20130925_084719.jpg

Re: found an enco 13"x40" lathe

They all look pretty damn nice to me!
That gear doesn't look wrong to me either.

Bernie

Hmmm. not so sure about the worm gear... for 77.00 dollars, I might just splurge on this one :)) The rest of the machine appears to be in order though... until I uncover something else:thinking:
I might at some point pick up Rich Kings video on scrapping, a free machine seems to be the likely candidate your learning some new techniques, but that would be down the road some.

I appreciate your input Bernie, helps to keep the focus and having more than just my own knowledge base to draw from (in my case I have zero experience with these types of things)

Peace!

Rich

I'd have to agree with Bernie....Don't see anything wrong there. The carriage ways are nice. The gear has normal wear on it. Plenty of things to spend money on without replacing parts that don't need replacing. Normally I would say the buying the lathe is just the down payment (but you didn't make the down payment), now you have to spend the real money on all the tooling and fixtures, and measuring devices that go along with it. It's kind of hard to tell from a pic though. It might be worse than it appears in the pic.

Chuck

I did a job interview this morning, magnetic resonance technology, degausing technology. Position for a test engineer and field engineer, i think it went well... crossing my fingers here.:))

ok guys, I definitely value your experience,, i hope you do not hold this against me, i think i am going to order this and the idler gear for the change gear box. I will keep the old gears as backups.... agreed, i have to purchase many other things yet, metal, some cutters top of the list. Budgets constraints will be less in the near future if the job pans out and after the annuit loan goes thru in a couple of weeks.

Anyone know how to remove the d1-4 adapter from the gearhead case? I want to remove as many of the external pieces as possible so i can get a good clean surface for sanding and painting.

rich20130926_100504.jpg20130926_100514.jpg

20130926_100504.jpg 20130926_100514.jpg

Unless you have a parts breakdown that shows different, I believe it is standard that what you want to remove is actually integral with the spindle.

Back