G0709 And G0730 Ordered And Expecting Delivery Friday

I agree generally with buy once, but there are times when one size does not fit all. With that big compressor my concern would be noise and lots of it. For those times when you don't really need the behemoth blasting at 90 decibels consider this...
Big doesn't always mean loud.

My Quincy 5 HP (Baldor 1800 rpm motor) puts out 82 dB at 3 feet... which might seem loud, but it is a low frequency noise compared to typical oil-less compressors (especially ones with universal motors). Much easier on the ears.

Plus, since it pack 18 cf. of air, you don't have to listen to it nearly as long as you would with one of those little air bangers that only puts out 2-4 cfm.

If it is too noisy, than a simple closet with acoustic foam and routing the intake outside the garage will do wonders.

I agree generally with buy once, but there are times when one size does not fit all. With that big compressor my concern would be noise and lots of it. For those times when you don't really need the behemoth blasting at 90 decibels consider this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...t-and-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-10020/203245210

I have a different model but love my California Air Tools compressor. It sits right under the bench at my feet and is no more noisy than two people talking. I just turn up the AC/DC :)

But then I only use it to blow off chips and stuff and will use it to power a FogBuster (interesting...as when I wrote FogBuster to ask about cfm requirements they recommended my exact compressor)

When the motor on my 5HP compressor fried I borrowed my son's 1 HP portable to power the shop while waiting for a replacement motor. That thing was twice as loud as my big one and ran pretty much continuously on any air usage and had a high pitch rather than the low frequency of the 5HP. Just about drove me nuts. The big one is much quieter.

Well, both the lathe and mill have had the brake-in completed and hopefully I can start making chips this evening when I get home from work. Got the tool post fitted to the lathe, had to use a friend mill as my vice key slots (I believe that's the correct term) are too large for the mill's table, 5/8" vs 1/2". Not sure if I will have to mill them to fit or if Shars has the correct size they can send. The only pics I have are of the tool post.tool post 1.jpg tool post 2.jpg

I have the Shar's Premium Precision Machine Vice 550V, waiting on swivel base, it's back ordered, and the key slots don't fit my table. They are 5/8" and my table slots are 1/2". I am leery of milling them to fit as they may not fit the swivel base if I do. I am going to call Shars and see if they have 1/2" ones but if not i am all ears as to suggestions on what to do.

Contrats, my G0709 was delivered to my workplace last Thursday (4/23). I got it home Friday evening and put it in my tractor shop until I get everything cleaned up, adjusted, and the DRO installed, then I'll move it across the drive to my machine shop. Mine had a slight bit of damage, the chip guard was bent in about an inch from a blow to the back of the crate, I can straighten it with no problem. The bolt had come out of the bottom of the tailstock, and the tailstock had fell off the back of the bed. It snapped the coolant tube off on it's way down, and put a scratch in the chip guard, but that was the extent of it. I emailed Grizzly today for a replacement tube. I am already happy with the smoothness of the carriage, cross slide, and compound, I think I'll really like it. I am replacing an 11" x 36" Logan that was made in 1952, the year I was born. I already have a G0755 mill in my machine shop with a DRO, that I really like. I'm anxious to start making chips, but it will probably be a couple of weeks at least as a lot of other projects take precedence.

Well I finally got to make my first chips!
Measured the chuck and found it was out .0015
Made a test cut on a bar of aluminum I had and over a 2' span it was out .0005.

Not to bad for a machine made in China and someone who hasn't done any machining in over 25 years. I feel pretty good about the purchase and hope to enjoy the lathe for years to come.

Now the negatives, well only one negative with the lathe so far. I was oiling all the ball oiler when I noticed that the ball oiler on the carriage near the handle wasn't right. The ball was missing. I called Grizzly and they asked what they could do to make it right, I requested a ball oiler and they said they would gladly send out a new part.

Put together my metal band saw I also ordered from Grizzly and found the motor and motor mount was damaged, still works, but since it was just bought I told Grizzly about it and that I had documented the box was damaged when I signed for delivery. They asked if I wanted a new machine sent out. I told them they could just send a new motor and mount and I would intall it and send back the damaged parts.

I have nothing but positives for Grizzly's customer service so far, they were a delight to deal with throughout the entire process, that's the way customer should be!

some pics of my first cut
first cut1.jpg first cut2.jpg

Since I posted the positives from my experience with Grizzly, I now want to post the negatives I have had dealing with Shars. The customer service has been good but the issues I have are with two items purchased.

I ordered their premium 550V vice and the key ways were supposed to be 1/2" but they are 5/8". When I talked to the rep she said after talking to the tech they found that the last order had 1/2" keys but the current order has 5/8". They advised I could mill them, remove them or to their credit I could return the vice for refund and they would cover shipping. I have since decided to keep the vice and just remove the keys as I have the swivel on back-order and when it arrives I will mill the keys on the swivel if needed. Almost bite the bullet and ordered a Glacern vice, but decided I had spent enough for a while and would consider it in the future.

Now for the rotary table issue: I ordered a 6" rotary table and 6" front mount chuck. When I was mounting the chuck to the table I found the t-nuts were interfering with the table locks.rotary table.jpg
After talking with Shars' customer service and their tech they advised I could just grind down the t-nuts. I explained that the amount needed to be cut would get into the threaded hole. They advised they would send me an 8" rotary table to use with the 6" chuck, after they realized their was a notation in the computer to not sell the chuck and table together due to the above mentioned issue. I found a 5" chuck elsewhere and told them I would keep the rotary table and return the chuck, mainly because I think the 8" rotary table will be too big.

Sorry for the long post but I thought someone might want to know. Shars' customer service is trying to do the right thing as they have offered to pay for return shipping for the chuck but they were alot harder to deal with than Grizzly. They have come through in the end and that's what matters most.

Now the negatives, well only one negative with the lathe so far. I was oiling all the ball oiler when I noticed that the ball oiler on the carriage near the handle wasn't right. The ball was missing.

Get used to that. The ball oilers that came with the G0709 are pretty lousy. I have two that are broken, the ball pushed in and disappeared never to return while oiling. I need to find some better ones (preferably more like grease nipples).

Back