G0709 And G0730 Ordered And Expecting Delivery Friday

When you get ready to upgrade to a better vice consider this...Enco has about the lowest price on the Kurt D688 vices everyday, including free shipping from the Kurt factory and no sales tax. Sign up for Enco emails and wait for their 20% off sale to buy that vice, I think I paid like $430 for mine which honestly isn't that much more than these import vices. I also opted for the Kurt dividing plates and magnetic jaw set.

Well speaking of Enco they just announced a one day only 25% off sale today, 4/29.

Wow, instant shop! Congratulations!

Hey spring, I didn't know how right I was!
You got a HUGE pile of new stuff.....congratulations.
Looks like you'll need another big tool box just for tooling.

That compressor will be great for that blast cabinet; I have to stop and wait for my compressor to catch-up.

Let the chips fly!
-brino

Well I ordered a Glacern GSV-550 with a swivel base today after Shars sent a return label for their vice. I was tempted to buy the Kurt but all I could find was a 4" and 6". I felt the 4" was too small and the 6" was over $600. So after some reserach i felt Glacern was the best option, as it is American made and appears to be exceptional quality

Just a note: glacern is not made in the USA, they are imported from Taiwan, and final finishing completed in the U.S.

Another good vise is made by Conquest It is made in the USA, Tormach sells their 5" mini magnum vise, and it is very well made and the right size for smaller mill tables. You can find them at some other distributors too (penntool IIRC).

When I spkoe to the rep at Glacern he told me the vices were cast in Texas and American made. I will have to check into this.

The Tormach 5" machinist vise is US made according to their website. FYI...

While I'm a Kurt vise fan I have been real happy with my Glacern purchases, you can tell they go the extra mile on quality vs a lot of lower priced competing junk coming out of China. For example this face mill. Now Glacern is smoking crack on their insert prices, I purchased my inserts elsewhere but the face mill is a work of art compared to what other places are selling.

Last edited by a moderator:
My collets that I ordered from Shars will not fit my mill. The key slot is not deep enough, again another call to Shars and they advised that this is an issue and are sending me a return label. Decided to call Glacern and purchase a collet chuck and collets. They took care of me on the Price, so it was a good deal.

Well my Glacern vice arrived last night and I had to work late but today when I got home I set the vice up and cut the 5/8" keys down to fit my 1/2" t-slot. I stepped the keys and mounted the vice. After I put a dial test indicator I obtained a difference on the vice of .00025" over the 5" jaw. I think that's pretty good, some of the more experienced please provide your thoughts.

Back