GMC pickup help....

A wierd trick I learned a long time ago is to power wash the oil leak area clean and spray some Tinactin athletes foot spray in the area. It used to dry to a powder like residue and would lead you to the leak. Remember this is a product from the early 90's and may not be around any more.

Can anyone tell me why a ford with a holley 4 barrel losses fuel prime from the carb hookup down to the fuel pump which is a mechanical fuel pump.:thinking: thanks Mac
The pumps diaphram may have a leak in it, alowing the prime to run back when stoped. If the hole is big enough it could alow the fuel to be running back into the crankcase(see if your oil level is ok and the oil dosent smell lke gas). If the fuel pump isint a financial burden then change the pump.

A wierd trick I learned a long time ago is to power wash the oil leak area clean and spray some Tinactin athletes foot spray in the area. It used to dry to a powder like residue and would lead you to the leak. Remember this is a product from the early 90's and may not be around any more.

That's a trick I'll have to remember... I just can't help but laugh everytime I see I can thinking of John Madden saying in his goofy voice "Tough Actin' Tinactin"

John

The pumps diaphram may have a leak in it, alowing the prime to run back when stoped. If the hole is big enough it could alow the fuel to be running back into the crankcase(see if your oil level is ok and the oil dosent smell lke gas). If the fuel pump isint a financial burden then change the pump.
i burnt a set of main bearings out that way one time didnt catch it in time but this ole goat got wise that was the 1st thing i checked lol but have a new mechanical pump on its way so going to try this and if it works yipi if not will change the carb:))

Hey Mac, how is your project going? I hope your having better luck lol Mine slowed a little :angry::banghead: So I think Im going to throw a set of main seals in it and hope and pray it slows alot!! Before I just :whiteflag:. And Im really really hoping that it doesnt have rope seals in it!!!!

Chris

Hey Mac, how is your project going? I hope your having better luck lol Mine slowed a little :angry::banghead: So I think Im going to throw a set of main seals in it and hope and pray it slows alot!! Before I just :whiteflag:. And Im really really hoping that it doesnt have rope seals in it!!!!

Chris
we are just waiting for the new fuel pump to get here, it seems that if you got a truck over 20 yrs they dont like to stock parts for it, which is a crock if you ask me, its a 67 ford with a 352 which is a 390 basically, i think you will find you dont have a rope seal it should be a neopream seal, its been along time since i tore into a 283 or a 327, but i'm sure you will get it, i used to take a fish hook and straighten it out and put a nylon string on it and run it over crank then stick the rope seal on barb and pull it through, but that was on the 170 cid ford engines .:)) Mac

Quick question here, I went to get a new rear main tonight. The kid behind the counter asked me whether it was a single or double lip. Never heard that one before. What's the difference? Besides tearing it apart, is there any way I can tell before I tear it all apart?

Thanks,
Chris

Quick question here, I went to get a new rear main tonight. The kid behind the counter asked me whether it was a single or double lip. Never heard that one before. What's the difference? Besides tearing it apart, is there any way I can tell before I tear it all apart?

Thanks,
Chris
There is really no way untill you pop the main bearing cap, it seems there was alot of variation in the rear mains i would get both and take the one back you dont use, got our fuel pump on and solved our problem, back to yours, are you going be able to pull your oil pan without removing engine, just a thought.:thinking: Mac

Its going to be REAL close as to weather it will come out or not. I may be able to just unbolt the motor mounts and jack it up a little to clear the cross member. I have been threatening to take a torch to the whole truck :lmao: Im glad you got your problem all figured out and fixed! Thats always a good feeling isnt it!!

Thanks,
Chris

Its going to be REAL close as to weather it will come out or not. I may be able to just unbolt the motor mounts and jack it up a little to clear the cross member. I have been threatening to take a torch to the whole truck :lmao: Im glad you got your problem all figured out and fixed! Thats always a good feeling isnt it!!

Thanks,
Chris
oh yea:))

Back