Hardinge model G?

C-Bag you are just going to have to get a Hardinge to fit your compound. Can't let that compound sit around growing rust since you have cleaned it up.

Well as usual there’s a reason I got it for $10. I don’t think the old guy who sold it to me knew it had somehow been torn off the cross slide. If I can get the warp out of and working right I might use it for something. But i doubt very seriously somebody is going to want to get rid of a Hardinge DV-59 for $10 :)

I should know better than say never though as the universe works in strange ways. I’ve been contemplating building a trailer for my trike to haul my dog. A neighbor that we walk our dogs together texted me the other day. He lives next to the Monarch Grove here in LO and said somebody left a dog trailer in the grove several days ago and do I want it. It’s complete in almost new condition, a $250 trailer! It even had the original manual in it! everybody walks their dogs through there and I think somebody lost their furbaby and left it there for another dog lover. I’m afraid to even contemplate wanting a Hardinge lathe.

Ah, now I understand the “split bed”. So it didn’t have the big dovetail like DV-59, it had a t slot down the middle?
the bed is a trapazoid the slot if too keep the parts in the center

Well as usual there’s a reason I got it for $10. I don’t think the old guy who sold it to me knew it had somehow been torn off the cross slide. If I can get the warp out of and working right I might use it for something. But i doubt very seriously somebody is going to want to get rid of a Hardinge DV-59 for $10 :)

I should know better than say never though as the universe works in strange ways. I’ve been contemplating building a trailer for my trike to haul my dog. A neighbor that we walk our dogs together texted me the other day. He lives next to the Monarch Grove here in LO and said somebody left a dog trailer in the grove several days ago and do I want it. It’s complete in almost new condition, a $250 trailer! It even had the original manual in it! everybody walks their dogs through there and I think somebody lost their furbaby and left it there for another dog lover. I’m afraid to even contemplate wanting a Hardinge lathe.
I got mine for $200, I spent twice that on tooling and alot on restoring it but it was a great deal. if you want precision get a Hardinge mine was used for war production and has 0.00003' runout, yes the decimal is in the right place, my chuck is out by half a thou, doesnt matter since I use collets for the precise work.

Ive always wanted a Hardinge, my neighbor has a heavy 10 and hates it after using my lathe a few times, says its like comparing a model T to a brand new caddilac.

The cheapest I've seen a Hardinge for is $650. There is one in the Central Valley for $1200 but unpowered sold by the grandson and doesn't look like its run in decades. Lots of rust and dust so who knows what kettle o' fish you're getting into. I don't doubt their accuracy, I just like being able to auto feed and all the "affordable" ones I see are second op, with no lead screw or feed set up. The cheapest are chucker lathes that don't seem to have a cross slide or compound set up for boring.

Through threads like this I'm learning what I'm looking at so that helps. But the one most seem interested in is the HLV and they are rare and never under $6K, so waaaaay out of my range. But now with this compound I have an idle reason to pay attention and learn more. The first rule is familiarity for me and this is a pretty deep subject.

Last edited:
The second op lathes are for small precise parts like bushings and pins I hate that I can’t thread or use power feed but it’ll make you a better hobby machinist

The second op lathes are for small precise parts like bushings and pins I hate that I can’t thread or use power feed but it’ll make you a better hobby machinist
If you have another lathe, and an irresistable urge to spend large sums of money on difficult to find tooling then a Hardinge DV or DSM59 is just the ticket. Braeden is right setting these up will teach you a lot about machining. I have a very nice 1970’s model DSM59 that I love playing with. It’s also fun searching for cheap tooling. I also have a rough HC that needs rebuilt badly. I’d definitely recommend the DSM/DV over the HC. Most parts are available new but expensive. They are the ticket for making lots of small parts quickly. Great job on the cross slide, just need the lathe to put under it.

If you have another lathe, and an irresistable urge to spend large sums of money on difficult to find tooling then a Hardinge DV or DSM59 is just the ticket. Braeden is right setting these up will teach you a lot about machining. I have a very nice 1970’s model DSM59 that I love playing with. It’s also fun searching for cheap tooling. I also have a rough HC that needs rebuilt badly. I’d definitely recommend the DSM/DV over the HC. Most parts are available new but expensive. They are the ticket for making lots of small parts quickly. Great job on the cross slide, just need the lathe to put under it.
I’ve been trying to find a turret for mine and it’s about 600 bucks rusted out

I’ve been trying to find a turret for mine and it’s about 600 bucks rusted out
They turn up on eBay once I a while but yep expensive. I’ve not seen one at industrial auction yet. I think all that stuff must have already been sold off years ago. Might try Paul Babin at Babin machine.

Back