Hardinge model G?

That one is for the later models I have a split bed, mine takes a model B which are harder to find

Having lots of machine triage already going on I decided I better review better what I might be getting into. I did some reading and watching the two YouTube vids Stephan Gottswinter did on refurbing compounds and decided this compound should be dropped down the todo list.

To do it right I need to surface grind the top of the base as it was badly pitted from decdes of rust. Unlike the other two compounds Stephan did the top of the base is a sliding surface. I would think there should be some rubber wipers or felt to help that surface not get scored from dust and swarf. After brushing up on how to measure the dovetail wear there seems to be .005 wear in the middle of the dovetails. So this is going to be more careful work than just a quick clean up. I also am skeptical that it has the correct gib in it as it seems upside down to me. But by the wear pattern it’s been that way for years.

Can you post a quick pic of your compound gib Braeden? I’d appreciate it.

Thanks. Just looks weird, but I guess its right as that’s what mine looks like. I was going by the pockets for the set screws but it being square on top just didn’t seem right.

so what does the ring with the two flat head screws do? Just provide a certain amount of clearance for the t nut to pull against? Mine didn’t come with that and it’s not clear what it’s made of either.

1664501798534.jpeg

Back