Hobby machinists in (Northern) Virginia, WV, MD?

Rex Walters

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I realize that this sub-forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, but I'm in the process of moving to Frederick County, Virginia and thought I'd ask: is there anyone in the greater area with the bug (the machining bug, not that bug) interested in getting together occasionally? I'm about to purchase a place near Winchester and unload a container with all of my machines and tools into a much larger shop. I would love to meet others that share the affliction. It'll be another month or three before I can show off the new shop, but the weather is starting to get nice so I thought I'd start the search.

I was fortunate to be associated with a bunch of like minded individuals out west that stayed in regular contact and met at each other's shops every month or three. It was mostly a bunch of retired machinists, hobbyists, "students of the mechanical arts", and even a few still-active pros. We'd mostly just get together to chew the fat, occasionally swap tools, ask advice, etc., over pizza's or whatever. Most of us met virtually on this forum first. It was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon and we had members all over California. Many of us traveled up to two or three hours or more each way just to attend an occasional meeting for a few hours (exchanging a lot of email in between the few meetings we could attend).

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any interest at all, no matter your skill level. I know just barely enough about machining and scraping/rebuilding to be dangerous, and dearly love making stuff out of all sorts of materials (even wood and plastic when forced).

I’m in northern Virginia, just inside the beltway. I’d be happy to get together from time to time. [mention]FliesLikeABrick [/mention] is out your way a bit; he and I have gotten together a few times. I believe there are a few others in the area.

-Jason

Great! I’ll be reaching out to both of you once I’m settled in the new place. I looked for machine shops and steel suppliers in the area and was pleased to see several, including a guy that specializes in civil war era reproduction musket barrels. Pretty neat.

Last edited:
Im close and go to the Winchester area quite often . Harpers Ferry and Berkeley Springs . Bought all my ATVs in Winchester . We are currently searching for land in the area .

Great. My offer on a place in Stephens Cuty just went through, closing mid-May

I’ll be hosting a barbecue in June or July most likely. Kick off the ShenVal Home Shop Machinists group.

Anyone interested, please send an email to: rw@pobox.com so I can start a list.

I was heading down to Paw Paw WV to buy a couple of 4 wheelers and passed Shenendowa Honda . I stopped in and they said they would match the other dealers quote . Bought 3 Honda 400EXs that day from them . :grin:

I am in SW Virginia. So not really that close, but if you end up going South on I81 one day come on by.

I'm just across the river in Williamsport, Maryland. ~45 min from Winchester. Would be interested for a meet up sometime.

This is great. John is one of my buddies from California. Very happy to keep the ball rolling on this side, as he says.

I had a really good lunch in Draper, driving from my cousin's place in Tennessee, Tom. I also went to school at Tech and still have some buddies from those days traipsing around somewhere down there. Southwest Virginia is one of my favorite places in the world.

Williamsport is indeed quite close, Intrepid.

It's looking I've simply incremented my interstate highway by one for my occasional jaunts to meet up with fellow machinists. I used to spend a lot of time driving back and forth on I-80, now I'll be driving up and down I-81. Love it.

Back