Hobby machinists in (Northern) Virginia, WV, MD?

I'm out off Tabor and Luther Michael now. Built a house on Posey Hollow (apparently for my ex wife, lol) 9 years ago, complete with a 30*40 pole shop. But this place has a 30*50 concrete block shop so it's still good
Was the 27 acres raw land?

Was the 27 acres raw land?
It was . My club ( PHOC )bought this back in the early 80's . We camped and rode the 4 wheelers , shot guns etc . As we all got older only a few of us ever went down . I used it until the day we sold it 2 years ago . We took the money and put it in a business account . Now , every two months we have a gathering at a chosen watering hole . All food and drink is put on the card , and we get some large bills at the end of the day . :encourage: If the land had water on it I would have bought it outright , but I'm still looking at this point . Alot of my ex-coworkers have places in Cacapon . We keep in touch but since they closed Greenridge's ORV trail we don't get together much . I have 45 acres in Upstate NY . We contemplate on selling it and getting back down into WV as the drive is short and taxes are low .

February's oyster fest at Wargos . $842 run up off the card .

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    784.8 KB · Views: 13
Awesome.

I often drove 2 to 2.5 hours each way to some of the meetings I attended in CA (it was worth it just to hang with people that understand).

Berkeley Springs is only an hour up I-81. @BCNU6OF1 is on the list.

Anyplace about an hour east of here (anywhere close to Dulles Airport) is also close enough, so @jwmelvin, @intrepid and @bl00 are also on the list.

St. Mary's county is about 2.5 hours away, so @stobl is on the list. A bit of hike, but again, I did it before, so I'm game to visit anyplace within about a 2.5 hour drive occasionally. @mmcmdl is presumably a little closer, so he's also on the list.

If @NCjeeper is south of Roanoke, he's probably about the farthest but since I expect to go to the occasional football game at Tech, it's definitely doable on occasion.

If my counting is right, that's 8 so far close enough to visit. Definitely enough for a quorum.

My search criteria for a house in VA was basically "West of IAD, East of I-81" (Frederick, Charles, Warren, Fauquier, or Loudon counties). I ended up on the border of Stephens City and Front Royal (pending inspections).

A two-and-a-half hour drive from Stephens City extends north up 81 to about Pottsville, PA, south on 81 to Roanoke, east on 66 and around the beltway to Annapolis, MD, and west on state roads to Morgantown, WV.

FWIW, I lived in Haymarket for many years, went to HS in Manassas, college in Blacksburg, lived for crabs and pork roll with my Maryland and NJ kin, and my whole family worked as beltway bandits. I know the east-west routes a whole lot better than north-south (other than Roanoke/Blacksburg/Wytheville), but I'm sure I can figure it out. I did have an uncle in Beverly, WV. If nothing else, it'll be a novelty to head north to WV occasionally!

Last edited:
The entire area you speak of is beautiful . :encourage:

February's oyster fest at Wargos
I'm laughing pretty hard because if you squint right, that could be a photo of my buddies back in the Sacramento Valley. Apparently we of a certain age and proclivities share a certain look.

1712849017661.png

(I was behind the camera!)

Still on my bucket list is the BR Parkway . Been on it but not the entire length . 400 plus miles at 30mph would take a while . :big grin:

Loudoun County here, but I'm not usually able to attend much group activity. I still work and my work has me in other states most of the time. But it's good to know who's in the area.

Rick "east of the mountain" Denney

Back