Home Shop Sound Systems

Scored a 150 watt Pioneer receiver and speakers on a local swap site for $50 last year. It's usually on when I'm wrenching or cleaning up, but when I'm welding or running machines I like to hear what the machine is telling me.

15" Cerwin-Vega's, got them for free over 20 yrs ago. Had to fix a bad wire post. Ran them hard until a few yrs ago, when old age and over exuberance on my part brought many pieces of woofer floating down. Seemed like a fitting rock and roll death for them. Bought a set of new woofers on e-bay for $80 and are still in service.

CIMG3153.jpg

Old clock radio, the digital readout went out so it is on a station I know, but every time someone walks past it turns to static. Oh well I don't were the hearing aids when working in the shop anyway.

I use a Bose Wave radio set to classical music and news. Between commercial TV and radio I got pretty sick of being assaulted by all the ads. Even the internet is now ad heavy.

I took all of my old music and put it on a hard drive, then just load the MP3s on a portable device to listen to most of the time when I want music. I agree, I think now there is more time spent on adds and stuff than actual music played on most radio stations now. Problem is I have not invested in anything that will play them loud enough to here them when I'm in the shop with all the other noise and not wearing hearing aids.

My first 10 years in this business was in a precision grinding shop. The owner didn't want any distractions from the business at hand. I've never been able to have music on while I'm in the shop since. He was right it is a distraction now! I think the word is fossil......

I loves me some good sound. I use a Kenwood car radio/player powered with a 3amp dc power supply. It is a good tuner, plays CDs, has a USB input for iPhone, memory stick or MP3 players, and a aux input for other devices including my TV. It has line outs to drive the BX-5 M-Audio active bi-amped studio monitors and an Onyko active sub woofer. Sound is great at any level.

radio tv_0354.JPG

Ugh. What happened to the edit button? I miss-typoed devices.

I'm a little embarrassed but I love my music and I love it loud!

Bang and Olufson Beocenter 7000 connected to a pair of polk audio 5's. Piggy backed to the B&O is a yamaha amp used to power 2 Bose 901's. My nearest neighbor lives almost a mile away and sometimes half jokingly sends me text requests in the summer when the door is open,

XM satellite radio on a home docking station. I've had XM radio in the truck for several years and really missed it at home, so bought one of the home docking stations and pipe it through an old stereo. Works great!

Back