Home Shop Sound Systems

I just use an old beat up DeWalt radio. I leave it on in the shop 24/7. I think the wild deer like it too. Because they sleep outside against the wall where the radio is…Good Luck, Dave.

i have a cd/record player/radio that has an aux jack.
it's a piece of junk, the cd player doesn't function,
i receive only 3 FM stations clearly and 100 am stations (that for some reason come in beautifully), but i don't like elevator music.
so i usually have a dedicated ipod plugged into the "system" and blasting out some old punk or old metal from my 15 gigabyte selection.

stereo.jpg

the neighbors gotta hate me,(for many reasons music being only one reason)
but, they sure don't have a problem coming over for some help if anything needs fixing!!!:grin:

Last edited:
sound systems (1).JPG sound systems (2).JPG sound systems (3).JPG sound systems (4).JPG I love to have my older country and western playing loud with no commercials, so I record my own from my 1500-2000 album collection---these are in my small shop and I have cassette players in my other shops---Yes I love my good old music from fifties to seventies and artists that could sing with good voices----Dave

This is an old Kenwood system I've had for 25 years now and it still rocks.

If I'm in my garage, it's on.

20150404_152235.jpg

Reconditioned 1982 matching S/N's Klipsch Cornwall's and vintage SAE rack system with XM radio. Crystal clear and LOUD!IMG_0401.JPGIMG_0510.JPG

Nice system. In are living room I'm still running my 42yr old JBL studio monitors that I shipped back from Viet Nam. Have replaced two mid-range speakers (FREE), but the woofers and tweeters are original. They've been used almost daily, music and movies, and are cranked on a regular basis. I know there is some nice equipment still made today and in a much smaller package. Call me nostalgic, but a big tube amp and some old school speakers ( the bigger the better) is still hard to beat. You can have your digital HD downloads and all the other blah, blah, blah, but I have reel to reel tapes that I still think (of course I'm old and somewhat senile) sound just amazing. May be my range of hearing lose and wish full thinking, but there you go. Not saying I don't like my i-pod, or as mentioned my XM radio, but I also like my four lb, 1972, Koss headphones when I'm in the recliner listing to a little Lead, or some Muddy Waters, or Carlos Santana, etc. Mike
P.S. If you like your music when your working, move your compressor out side in it's own little house. I'm doing that in my new shop for musics sake and to help save my sanity. Mike

A Mill, A lathe, a welder, a grinder,and a whole lot of other loud stuff. but for a tunes I have a old Pioneer, tied to a pair of old JBLs with paper cones. You know the old stuff.
Mark

I'm one of the few that prefer the quiet. It lets me think clearer and pay attention to the sound of the work. I learned long ago that if I have some extra noise going I fixate on it and stop what I'm doing.
Dave

Stereo.png
Old reciever from the living room hooked up to two re-built bookshelf speakers. I built a Raspberry-Pi based pandora box for it. 80's cheese in the background for hours :)

Nice system. In are living room I'm still running my 42yr old JBL studio monitors that I shipped back from Viet Nam. Have replaced two mid-range speakers (FREE), but the woofers and tweeters are original. They've been used almost daily, music and movies, and are cranked on a regular basis. I know there is some nice equipment still made today and in a much smaller package. Call me nostalgic, but a big tube amp and some old school speakers ( the bigger the better) is still hard to beat. You can have your digital HD downloads and all the other blah, blah, blah, but I have reel to reel tapes that I still think (of course I'm old and somewhat senile) sound just amazing. May be my range of hearing lose and wish full thinking, but there you go. Not saying I don't like my i-pod, or as mentioned my XM radio, but I also like my four lb, 1972, Koss headphones when I'm in the recliner listing to a little Lead, or some Muddy Waters, or Carlos Santana, etc. Mike
P.S. If you like your music when your working, move your compressor out side in it's own little house. I'm doing that in my new shop for musics sake and to help save my sanity. Mike

My home sound system is old school as well (my US Navy single days) as far as compressor noise, at 1.5 watts, yes! 1.5 watt the compressor is barely heard. The combination is very efficient. I have cranked it to 12 watts and it sounds like a stage with the r-30 insulation in the building. A friend gave me the Klipsch speakers, they where in bad cosmetic shape as they had cats and plants sitting on top. I updated the crossovers (capacitors),wood cabinets, and grills for a cost of $60 each. My buddy came to visit after they they where up and running, the look on his face was priceless.

Back