I Wonder What To Do With My Shop When I Am Gone

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I think of some really dumb things occasionally. With my deteriorating health, I have wondered what will happen to my shop when I am gone. There is no one I can leave it to ( any remaining idiots related to me wouldn't have a clue what any of it is). I don't want some money grabbing relative to sell it for what they can get. This really bothers me sometimes.Soooo...... I have decided, when I cut my last chip, I want to give my shop to an enterprising , enthusiast, that loves this stuff as much as me. I haven't exactly figured out how to go about this yet, but I think that is what I want. Anyone else ever wonder about crap like this?

All the time.

The trick is figuring out when that last ship is going to get cut. The only thing worse than dying and leaving it for someone else to figure out would be selling everything off too soon and missing it.

I always wonder if something happens when the machine is under power feed, just a crash that might not be stopped for hours. That could mean a possible electric fire from the motor, etc.

As for after I'm gone, not really sure. If I has a suspicion before hand, I'd go out with post-it notes and mark everything in the shop with a price. For a future wife or relatives to sort out.

I do have a plan, but haven't finalized the details yet. I need to find someone I can trust to be notified per details in my will to handle giving everything to the right person they will find by the criteria I outline. Just hope I get it done before it is needed.

What about donating them to a technical school or high school?

That is very nice of you to consider donating the machinery, you will inspire more generations and light the fire inside them to persue machining as a hobby, or a career.

I was lucky enough as a teenager to have a fully equipt shop with 10 lathes, a Bridgeport mill, grinding machines, etc. I wish I had it at my disposal now.

I tell my wife all the time not to sell anything until she talks to my brother. We have similar interests - machines, archery, guns, ham radio - and he knows what I have. A friend of mine died young and his brothers went to the house and told his wife they came for the stuff he borrowed from them. Luckily she was smarter than that and told them to leave.
What about the local Vo-Tech school? How about a local club? You might be able to partner with them about a student, or students, that could use some help in their career.

Last edited:
What about donating them to a technical school or high school?

That is very nice of you to consider donating the machinery, you will inspire more generations and light the fire inside them to persue machining as a hobby, or a career.

I was lucky enough as a teenager to have a fully equipt shop with 10 lathes, a Bridgeport mill, grinding machines, etc. I wish I had it at my disposal now.

You have a good point, however, most schools don't teach this stuff anymore ( and that is a shame). Soon there will be no need for our kind of machining as some geek designs on a computer and another unskilled "operator" pushes a button and another computer does what we used to do. Sad as it is.

The tech schools don't really care about all the nice "homemade tooling" and don't really care about "antique" machinery as it is not the "stuff" of today's machinist ( and I use that term loosely here.) The proper place for all my usable and quality tooling and machines, I feel, would be an enthusiast as we are who is devoted to the preservation of this dying craft and that will be where I believe my shop will get the care and use it deserves.

I have two friends who "graduated" from the local "school of trades" and one of them has a shop full of equipment that makes me green with envy, but with all the "training" they received for almost two years, it is amazing what they DON'T know. I spend time with the one teaching him what I know and he soaks it up like a sponge. ( he is actually the same age as me).

I have wondered also what should happen to my stuff. Sometimes I think I don't care what happens as long as I have my pleasure when I can do it, or there are some people I know that are a couple of hours away could help the wife disperse what I have. Of course they all have their own machines, but maybe they can help out some way.
John

I too think of things like this, although i'm still relatively young at age 45.
the problems with half the junk i collect is that not many people know what i have or how to use it or the worst part- How much it's worth...
the other half of the junk i have is broken in one shape or form and not many people know how to fix the broken stuff...

Back