I Wonder What To Do With My Shop When I Am Gone

Mark,
I'd like to respond to the statement about being in Votech for 2 years. In my school I only have them for a total of 720 hours in that 2 years. That's only 18 40 hour weeks, less than 6 months. An apprenticeship in my state for a machinist is 7000 hours. It is great that the guys you are dealing with are like a sponge. That means whoever taught them generated a desire to learn more. That's what I tell my self anyway. I'm facing the same dilemma as you are. I've got a lifetime of tolls and machines to pass on to someone. Just not sure how yet. I'll likely pass them to former students who have gone on and stayed in the trade. I'm not ready to give them up yet though.

I think its important to remember that it is just stuff. No one likely will care about it or for it as much as you. Let your wife or heirs do with it what they please and use it as long as you can. Conversely you could join a model engineering club and likely some of the members would be glad to buy the tools when you are gone or no longer able to use them.

michael

I just turned 50 this last week and reading all of this has got me thinking about what to do with all of my shop items. My son is not that interested in working with his hands, and I am not sure he would want all of my tools. I like the idea of selling them to someone who would use and appreciate them befor my demise, to be collected after. The whole subject is a little depressing on a number of different levels.

I've seen the after-math of this twice now. My Grandmother gave away all of her husbands tools very quickly after he died (Master Carpenter) because she didn't think any of us grand kids would want the stuff. Strangers got some really nice stuff for free! :cry: When my Dad died, I got first pick of his tools since my younger brothers have no mechanical skills or interest. He was a mechanic and gearhead when he was young, so lots of good stuff, but I was torn because my Mom was planning on selling whatever was left. On the one hand, I got some tools of a quality that's hard to match now, but on the other hand, she lost out on money, so I made myself be very conservative. Hate to see that stuff go to strangers for a fraction of their worth. Now I'm 54 with no kids and no relatives who would want this stuff. Makes me feel quilty for buying it in the first place, but it's want I always wanted to do...

My biggest fear is that my wife is going to sell my stuff for what I told her that I paid for it. Lol

Hah hah hah hah!!!

Oh man that was good.

I started a note in my computer listing things I have and what they are worth. I try to have pics of things in another foods so someone will know what the heck things are if something happens to me.

I rue the day I have to decide to stop making chips, or have to decide when to downsize from the machines I love now. Maybe I will feel differently then, I don't know. I am 43 now.
Bernie

Bernie

Mark---I think all of us value our collections very dearly, and need them for contentment until we go to a higher much more glorious place---I have always counted on them as a good investment and my wife and family will need all of the monetary value from them when I'm gone---Don't second guess your children and grandchildren and family and worry about someone to be able to find and use them---just pray that they will be purchased by someone who knows their value and can enjoy using them---we have all found our stuff and many more are looking for their stuff----just keep everything labeled and organized as often as you can to help the next owner---I've seen many sell all their stuff just because they are old --and then have nothing to do---and some even start buying items all over again because they miss them-------Just remember that it is just stuff that we need while we are here--others will find it when our time is up---don't spend time worrying about death--just accept salvation and be at peace knowing where you are going--------Dave

I think its important to remember that it is just stuff. No one likely will care about it or for it as much as you. Let your wife or heirs do with it what they please and use it as long as you can. Conversely you could join a model engineering club and likely some of the members would be glad to buy the tools when you are gone or no longer able to use them.

michael

For most of you, what you say is true. Yes it is just stuff, But to me it is GOOD stuff. Many have wives and kids that will take care of the mess. As for me , it is different. There is no one to take this "stuff"and there is no one that wants or knows what any of it really is. There is no one to leave anything to. I intend to cut chips as long as I am breathing. It doesn't matter to some and that is ok , but I want my shop to be used and appreciated for what it is and there will be some younger person that will do that and I will leave it to that person.

I actually had no idea the controversy this topic would bring. I just wondered if I was the only one thinking about it. I ain't in no hurry to close shop and depart for greener pastures, but I do have to realize I am going on 64 years old which in itself is not that old, but after two heart attacks , two strokes, open heart surgery , a pace maker , and looking at another very very risky ( 30% chance of surviving the surgery and 0 % chance if I don't do it) surgery coming soon, I think I NEED to think about this. Many of you really don't yet. ( of course you never know what can happen)

I am going to keep making tooling and chips until I can't

Mark---I think all of us value our collections very dearly, and need them for contentment until we go to a higher much more glorious place---I have always counted on them as a good investment and my wife and family will need all of the monetary value from them when I'm gone---Don't second guess your children and grandchildren and family and worry about someone to be able to find and use them---just pray that they will be purchased by someone who knows their value and can enjoy using them---we have all found our stuff and many more are looking for their stuff----just keep everything labeled and organized as often as you can to help the next owner---I've seen many sell all their stuff just because they are old --and then have nothing to do---and some even start buying items all over again because they miss them-------Just remember that it is just stuff that we need while we are here--others will find it when our time is up---don't spend time worrying about death--just accept salvation and be at peace knowing where you are going--------Dave

WELL SAID! ..... I know where I am going and I wouldn't get rid of anything till I am gone

These are all good points- the market for these kinds of machines is getting narrower, but is still out there. If you want to donate the shop, maybe a nearby museum with a mechanical bent. I used to work near a railroad museum with a lot of space and they were being given so much machinery that they had a sideline of selling it off to fund the museum, keeping the better equipment to keep their rolling stock going. Their shop was pretty active! The key is finding a museum who has the staff/volunteers who know what to do with a lathe ,shaper or mill. If the equipment is on site, a machinist volunteer can teach someone else how to use it. A very real fear of a ship museum historian I know is that their machinist takes things home to work on and is not teaching the next generation. Just a suggestion, not necessarily a good one

Back