Joining The Pm Club.

I'm getting a set of collets with the mill and a 5" vice too. Ordered some end mills and a nice 18N Jacobs super chuck with an R8 arbor out of MSC's sales flyer. That should all be here today. Got a Machinery's handbook on the way too.

Newbie question, Is there any difference between holding an end mill with a collet vs an actual end mill holder?

Holding an end mill in a R8 collet keeps the cutter closer to the spindle bearing. Using a end mill holder with it's set screw(s) allows for more aggressive cuts. Have not used end mill holders, but this is what I have been told (disclaimer). :)

I hate endmill holders, increased run out which when using a carbide endmill can ruin your morning, your part and your wallet in short order. I have used the no name chinese and Korean endmills from Enco for years with good results. I buy the tiny endmills from name brand manufacturers when they are on sale at enco.

michael

For a PM25 or other mill of similar size, using a end mill holder is overkill in that mill can't take the abuse a holder is capable of dishing out. A R8 collet will do nicely. I use 'em in my PM25 (and my larger mill) and they work great. :)

Good to go with the larger mill, PM932. It is a stretch financially, but the PM450G is also one to consider. http://www.amazon.com/PM-450G-Milling-Machine-TAIWAN-Shipping/dp/B00VKXWO50

Recommend sticking with R8 collets, you might also consider an R8 ER32 holder for smaller end mills if you change out sizes frequently. You do not need a lot of collets for end mills, as the collet end usually come in standardized sizes (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4"). ER32 system has very little run out and in my experience quicker to change end mills then a R8 manual system. I use high helix 3 flutes end mills for aluminum, usually carbide just because they last a long time. Speak to 10 machinists, and you will probably get 10 different opinions of brand and type to use. I have SGS, Hanita, Niagara...., whatever I can find at a reasonable price. Maritool also has a nice selection at reasonable prices. MSC is overpriced in my experience, one of the few vendors that charges more than list and then discounts back to list price if they have a sale. Sorry, I avoid the YSL, Asian end mills.

https://www.maritool.com/Cutting-To...Carbide-45-deg-Helix/c78_79_93_198/index.html
https://www.maritool.com/Cutting-To...d-3-Flute-High-Helix/c78_79_80_201/index.html

Probably want an assortment of sizes, and a few larger ones when you want to remove a lot of metal. Something like 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4". A little lubrication and air to clear the chips goes a long way to cleaner cuts. Also the feed direction is very important in the finish with aluminum, usually climb milling is recommended, but this can differ based on many variables. The other recommendation to getting a good finish is a power feed to give even cutting.

Last edited:
Second the climb milling and power feed for aluminum. Usually about 5 thou or so. :)

The ER tool holder is on my list. I'll have to wait for that though. A little further up on the list is a dividing head or a horizontal/vertical rotary table. I was looking at the ones grizzly sells. Would the 6" or 8" be more appropriate for a 9x32 machine?

I have a 6" horizontal/vertical rotary and think it's perfectly sized for the PM25.

Back