Just ordered the PM-1236T Lathe - Need some help please...!

You might acquaint yourself with the previous posts on this topic. Here is one example:

Hello Sir... thanks for the input.

It's my understanding is the BXA vs AXA debate pertaining to the PM-1236T or any 12" swing lathe was decided as just boils down to personal preference... I have plenty of both and will try them out to see what I like.

I haven't been on in over half a year and was just trying to bait Mikey into voicing his opinion, He along with a bunch of really nice people use to drop by and visit my other lathe rebuild threads and chat, so I'm trying lure him in so he will be shocked I bought a lathe that's actually new.

I have a bunch of generic BXA stuff coming from PM with my lathe, and I have tons of AXA on hand... just wanted his opinion on the Accusize stuff and whether it a complete waste to invest in, I didn't get a response from Mikey so I bought a couple Accusize tool holders the check out my self.

Thanks for stopping by, Much appreciated.

Hello Sir... thanks for the input.

It's my understanding is the BXA vs AXA debate pertaining to the PM-1236T or any 12" swing lathe was decided as just boils down to personal preference... I have plenty of both and will try them out to see what I like.

I haven't been on in over half a year and was just trying to bait Mikey into voicing his opinion, He along with a bunch of really nice people use to drop by and visit my other lathe rebuild threads and chat, so I'm trying lure him in so he will be shocked I bought a lathe that's actually new.

I have a bunch of generic BXA stuff coming from PM with my lathe, and I have tons of AXA on hand... just wanted his opinion on the Accusize stuff and whether it a complete waste to invest in, I didn't get a response from Mikey so I bought a couple Accusize tool holders the check out my self.

Thanks for stopping by, Much appreciated.
I have an Accusize AXA on my Seneca Falls Star lathe and I like it plenty good. Also have a generic BXA for my Samson (Tida 5aa) 12x36 lathe which seems fine in this application. I figure with my skill level it's not going to make that much difference at this point, the Accusize stuff is solid and used by many pros I think.

Developing your skill at grinding HSS or selecting the right carbide insert is probably more important than having a high end toolpost but I could always be wrong. In either case if you find out what you have isn't good enough you can always upgrade tooling, you'll have a solid machine regardless.

If you want someone to see your post just use an at mention like @Mr Mike and they'll get notice depending on their contact settings just like Titanium Knurler.

John

Mr Mike, I use the BXA system on my 1236-T. It has worked well for me.

One thing that might be a minor consideration is that if you want to use a tool that has a large shank you might be more likely to find a tool holder in the BXA size.

For example, I have a three wheel knurling attachment that has a 1” shank that I use on my BXA set-up; not sure I could do that with an AXA system:

6CB78E1F-504C-4EA2-BE95-52787D429A55.jpeg
735890E2-FA14-4D22-B5A0-0132D6374AAA.jpeg
DBB00A75-069B-4F1C-A948-1AD2F52EBD14.jpeg
06652A02-C03C-4A13-8CFC-6A43C0816E87.jpeg

Just one more thing to consider. However, if you don’t plan on using any large shank tools then forget I brought it up :)

I have an Accusize AXA on my Seneca Falls Star lathe and I like it plenty good. Also have a generic BXA for my Samson (Tida 5aa) 12x36 lathe which seems fine in this application. I figure with my skill level it's not going to make that much difference at this point, the Accusize stuff is solid and used by many pros I think.

Developing your skill at grinding HSS or selecting the right carbide insert is probably more important than having a high end toolpost but I could always be wrong. In either case if you find out what you have isn't good enough you can always upgrade tooling, you'll have a solid machine regardless.

If you want someone to see your post just use an at mention like @Mr Mike and they'll get notice depending on their contact settings just like Titanium Knurler.

John
Hello Sir, nice seeing you...

Glade to hear you like Accusize - cause I bought some, and being bottom of the barrel on here means I will most likely love it.

I didn't put the @ sign by Mikeys or anyone's name on purpose, I was hoping people would see this help thread and notice the by: Mr Mike each time it gets bumped back up after replies... You, Bob Korves - who I see passed, Randy, Nogoingback, Ncjeeper & Mikey were always there for me with My Enco 12X36 thread, you literally couldn't ask for a better support group...

If by mistake I did use the @ with Titanium Knurler it was in error, wasn't looking for him to find me on this tread - I admit I'm jealous of his set up and capabilities, I read through his thread for about a couple hrs and honestly felt bad for myself, not joking when I say I was a little upset because this is a hobby forum and this guys amazing and a full on pro - anyone can see that. I just bought the same lathe but compared to his is a toy, I got myself passed that now and cant wait till I get my new lathe.

Speaking of HSS tooling... that is what mikey and I were last talking about, and eventually I will need help with.

Thanks for stopping by...

Last edited:
Mr Mike, I use the BXA system on my 1236-T. It has worked well for me.

One thing that might be a minor consideration is that if you want to use a tool that has a large shank you might be more likely to find a tool holder in the BXA size.

For example, I have a three wheel knurling attachment that has a 1” shank that I use on my BXA set-up; not sure I could do that with an AXA system:

View attachment 439546View attachment 439547View attachment 439548View attachment 439549

Just one more thing to consider. However, if you don’t plan on using any large shank tools then forget I brought it up :)
Sir, all I can say is I love your work... your skill level is top notch by any standard.. that Knurling job is amazing... Its sad to admit ill never have your skill set. But I do love your set up - you do good work.

Some how I don't think my best work is up to par just yet... I made dozens of these Anodes on my 9x19 for an electrolysis tank rebuilding an old Logan Lathe that I couldn't finish - lol we are miles apart :)

1677646871715.png

Last edited:
Yes, I consider Accusize a little better than most Chinese stuff. They're based in Canada and seem to have a lot of different things they sell with good support as well.

You didn't @ mention Titanum Knurler, someone else did. I personally think it's totally legit to @ mention someone who you think will have good input to your thread, that's why we're all here I think. Good tools are just part of it, you need to feel comfortable using them and spend plenty of time (not my strongest suit) practicing to develop your technique.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new machine....

John

Hello Sir, nice seeing you...

Glade to hear you like Accusize - cause I bought some, and being bottom of the barrel on here means I will most likely love it.

I didn't put the @ sign by Mikeys or anyone's name on purpose, I was hoping people would see this help thread and notice the by: Mr Mike each time it gets bumped back up after replies... You, Bob Korves - who I see passed, Randy, Nogoingback, Ncjeeper & Mikey were always there for me with My Enco 12X36 thread, you literally couldn't ask for a better support group...

If by mistake I did use the @ with Titanium Knurler it was in error, wasn't looking for him to find me on this tread - I admit I'm jealous of his set up and capabilities, I read through his thread for about a couple hrs and honestly felt bad for myself, not joking when I say I was a little upset because this is a hobby forum and this guys amazing and a full on pro - anyone can see that. I just bought the same lathe but compared to his is a toy, I got myself passed that now and cant wait till I get my new lathe.

Speaking of HSS tooling... that is what mikey and I were last talking about, and eventually I will need help with.

Thanks for stopping by...
Mr Mike, it’s kind of funny for me to be referred to as a “full-on pro” since I am actually a “full-on“ hobbyist; never owned a lathe before and my job is not even remotely related to machining. I learned by asking really dumb questions and making lots of mistakes as well as spending a lot of time in front of the lathe. I feel, no, I KNOW, that I still have A LOT to learn. Very sorry if I upset you in any way; my intent was to help If possible.

You have a wonderful new lathe coming your way and with the help of the talented and experienced people here I am sure you will unlock it’s full potential.

Best of luck with your new lathe!

TK

Mr Mike, it’s kind of funny for me to be referred to as a “full-on pro” since I am actually a “full-on“ hobbyist; never owned a lathe before and my job is not even remotely related to machining. I learned by asking really dumb questions and making lots of mistakes as well as spending a lot of time in front of the lathe. I feel, no, I KNOW, that I still have A LOT to learn. Very sorry if I upset you in any way; my intent was to help If possible.

You have a wonderful new lathe coming your way and with the help of the talented and experienced people here I am sure you will unlock it’s full potential.

Best of luck with your new lathe!

TK
Hello Sir...
I appreciate the kind words but, you need not apologize to me for my insecurities... That's on me! I apologize If I made you uncomfortable, it wasn't my intention for you to take notice of any posts I made.

Keep up the good work.

That being said, this thread has come to an end... All questions I had about AXA and BXA use pertaining to the PM-1236T have been answered. Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:
Back