Just ordered the PM-1236T Lathe - Need some help please...!

AXA tooling will work on a 1236 lathe in most cases. You may need to shim the QCTP if you cannot get enough height, removing the compound going with a solid tool post circumvents the height issue. If you need the compound and do not shim the QCTP then it will change the cutter heights. I have seem shims under the QCTP, but could be another point for rotation. If using the compound, then you end up with issues like below where the compound could hit the chuck before the cutter, in particular if the jaws are reversed. The other area where there can be a clearance issue is with a live center in the tailstock and/or if you add a digital caliper/scale to the tailstock, I had this issue on my 1340GT and had to get a CNC live center with a smaller body. It is not that it won't work, it is just that as PM indicated that a BXA is a better choice. I also use the oversized BXA holders in some cases for 3/4" index holders that I want more rigidity like knurling.

20230223_162538.jpg

K so I guarantee you'll find this very hilarious...

I called PM today and instead of picking the Sales line, I chose the Tech support line and talked to Mike, I explained that I just bought the PM-1236T and need to know if I can use all my AXA stuff from my old lathe & transfer it to the new lathe... He said yes.

He said I may have to shim it up a bit, but that my AXA stuff would work fine, He went on to say that he personally would use BXA for more rigidity.
LOL, I talked to Mike before and he seems to know what he is talking about. Ok, my faith in PM is being restored ;)

When I got home this afternoon, I checked what Mark mentioned about the compound at an angle and he is correct that it would stick out some with an AXA, but might not with the BXA. I rarely had my compound at enough of an angle that it was an issue, but if you use it at 45 degrees close to the chuck, it certainly can be. I also checked the turret tool post that comes with the lathe and it is even worse.

AXA tooling will work on a 1236 lathe in most cases. You may need to shim the QCTP if you cannot get enough height, removing the compound going with a solid tool post circumvents the height issue. If you need the compound and do not shim the QCTP then it will change the cutter heights. I have seem shims under the QCTP, but could be another point for rotation. If using the compound, then you end up with issues like below where the compound could hit the chuck before the cutter, in particular if the jaws are reversed. The other area where there can be a clearance issue is with a live center in the tailstock and/or if you add a digital caliper/scale to the tailstock, I had this issue on my 1340GT and had to get a CNC live center with a smaller body. It is not that it won't work, it is just that as PM indicated that a BXA is a better choice. I also use the oversized BXA holders in some cases for 3/4" index holders that I want more rigidity like knurling.

View attachment 438931
Mike from PM Tech Support and I were talking today about AXA vs BXA, and he basically iterated & confirmed what you guys have been saying, I may have to shim up the AXA but it will work fine...

In the photo I can see how flipping the Jaws with the smaller AXA could exacerbate this situation into disaster, usually your watching the tool not the end of the compound..

Thank you for the help and your time for checking into this, much appreciated.

Last edited:
It also depends on which AXA QCTP you're talking about. The Aloris AXA tool post is 0.250" shorter than the Dorian equivalent. So on a 1236T, the better choice is the Dorian AXA QCTP. I'm sure the Chinese clones vary as well. Guess what this is from:

screenshot_157.jpg

It also depends on which AXA QCTP you're talking about. The Aloris AXA tool post is 0.250" shorter than the Dorian equivalent. So on a 1236T, the better choice is the Dorian AXA QCTP. I'm sure the Chinese clones vary as well. Guess what this is from:

View attachment 438973
Ohhh Ill take a shot.. Assuming windows operating system, Its from -( C:\User\MrBest\Bookstuff\Photos\Graphics\QCTP-dimensions )- did i nail it..? :grin:

Last edited:
Sometimes a smaller tool will fit where bigger tooling will not. Especially on small parts! Example, I sometimes want to have a thin flange and need to get behind the surface near the chuck to make it. There are features in the flange that I do not wish to loose, such as a hex hole. Smaller tooling is then better. I have done this on counter sunk bolts, taking off the tapered counter sink to just leave the top surface behind. To do this I have to chuck the bolt threads, or the threads with jammed nuts on them... and work right next to the chuck with the tools. I did this on the bolts on my milling backer board clamp bolts so that I would have more usable depth to the backer board. These are fairly large bolts but you still need space. I have also done it on much smaller bolts. See the photos in:
I turned the T-Slot bolts head down to be very thin.

Dave L.

I have a generic offshore AXA on my 12X37 lathe, and it works just fine.

I have temporarily put one of my BXA posts on it, and things did not fit as well. That is because at the bottom of the BXA travel the tool holders were almost too high, so adjustment was tricky, and a few of my tools I could not get low enough to centre them. You experience will surely be different.

It depends purely on you cross slide height versus your centre height.

Sometimes a smaller tool will fit where bigger tooling will not. Especially on small parts! Example, I sometimes want to have a thin flange and need to get behind the surface near the chuck to make it. There are features in the flange that I do not wish to loose, such as a hex hole. Smaller tooling is then better. I have done this on counter sunk bolts, taking off the tapered counter sink to just leave the top surface behind. To do this I have to chuck the bolt threads, or the threads with jammed nuts on them... and work right next to the chuck with the tools. I did this on the bolts on my milling backer board clamp bolts so that I would have more usable depth to the backer board. These are fairly large bolts but you still need space. I have also done it on much smaller bolts. See the photos in:

Dave L.

I have a generic offshore AXA on my 12X37 lathe, and it works just fine.

I have temporarily put one of my BXA posts on it, and things did not fit as well. That is because at the bottom of the BXA travel the tool holders were almost too high, so adjustment was tricky, and a few of my tools I could not get low enough to centre them. You experience will surely be different.

It depends purely on you cross slide height versus your centre height.

Thanks for the info, I fully intend to use my AXA stuff now that its been confirmed that AXA can be installed on my pm-1236T..

Ya know its border line rude to show off a beautiful first class QCTP to a guy that just bought a generic one right...

On a serious note... You wouldn't happen to know which Vertical lathe Slide I should get for the new lathe by chance, so I can mill the AXA T-nut to fit...?

Thanks...

Edit: I just remembered seeing this In one of the old lathe box's, I was going to give it away and people here on this forum said no keep it because ill need it one day...

Is this what I am thinking it is - a vertical lathe mill slide maybe.? The 1.5" blue tape roll should give a sense of its size and it looks like it was mounted directly to the cross slide in place of the compound, and its weight is 40 lbs

Doubt it will direct fit to the new lathe, The bolt hole distance is the 3.75" same as the compound.

Vetical milling slide600.jpg

Last edited:
Back