Lifting a lathe versus force on spindle bearing

kb58

Registered
Registered
I recently bought an old Webb/Takisawa lathe which weighs about 2500 lbs. I read up on it before it was moved, and the manual said it should be lifted by placinge rods through holes in the bed casting. Come time to move it, and I watched a very experienced heavy machinery mover put one sling under and behind the chuck, with maybe half of it ending up under the casting. Before he lifted it, I mentioned that the mfg said to use the rods, and he gave me a brief but clear glance that conveyed that I didn't know what I was talking about, and how he did it was harmless due to the lifting force being less than what the spindle bearing sees during normal operation.

It arrived safe and appears to be fine, but I still wonder, is he correct, or not? I can see that as-designed, the spindle bearing must resist the large upward force as the chuck tries to climb up over the cutting tool, so up to some amount of force, it's a non-issue. As said above, he didn't place the sling directly under the spindle, it was riding behind it, on both the head casting and the gap between the casting and chuck. I just don't have an idea of how much sideways force is put on the bearing when taking a deep cut—there are a lot of variables to guess at.

I just had a conversation about that. My friend said the guys at Southbend said it was no problem lifting by the headstock. Not sure if that relates to large lathes though. Under the bed is another good way.

That is the last way that I would lift a lathe, and not then either! Under the bed is how I always lifted lathes, and I have lifted quite a lot of them. Generally, I lift them high enough to bolt skids under them and roll them on pipes, that is, if I don't have a forklift handy --- For my old 30" swing American, I used machinery skates, having jacked it up with toe jacks.

I think it was on here, where someone posted a page from the manual for a lathe that showed lifting by the chuck, and many folks said they have lifted a lathe that way. I think it was a medium size, like a 10 to 12", with stand, but not positive. But, I would not do it. Maybe securing a strap around the head stock, to lift half the lathe, if there was no other way. But I cannot think of any reason that one could not run a sling under the bed, or even under the bed, and wrapping around the stand.

Wow, I would not think of it.
If there are manufacturer's that show this is the approved method so be it.
My lathe has a balance point where we installed a 3/4" pipe thread hook and lifted the balanced assembly from the bed casting.

Nardini, Clausing Metosa, and Pratt & Whirney lathes I owned all showed in the manual lifting by the bed. A strap around a bed cross member is the way to go. Move the tailstock & carriage to get it balanced.

Don't you love it. We have all seen it. Some guy that's been doing it the wrong way for years and you just can't tell him anything.
Reminds me of the range.
Being a Range Safety Officer, it's the older guys set in their ways that know everything. Most do, don't misunderstand me. But some are a danger to them selves and everyone around them.
OK, you can have your thread back.

Confucious say "man who lift by chuck-he suck!"

Seriously, lifting by the chuck would be the last approach I'd use on any machine.

Back