Lifting a lathe versus force on spindle bearing

The argument about spindle forces being greater than lifting forces seems absurd to me. I doubt the spindle bearings are the weak link here. For example, the heavy Takisawa lathe has some modest diameter screws for headstock alignment, and I doubt that headstock alignment would survive hauling around that way. I used the rods and a Harbor Freight sling and a Harbor Freight engine hoist, like the manual says.

If I was having my lathe moved I would remove the chuck and everything possible (tailstock, compound, etc.)
Then provide the slings and lifting points that suit me for lifting. Right or wrong I would have to be OK with the way the lathe was handled.
If it means an argument then so be it. If someone has to be unhappy I prefer that it not be me.

I think in this particular case if the strap was just giving some side pressure rather than directly under the chuck then no harm done.
But I agree that lifting the bed is the best way
It's good to remember that tremendous forces, applied slowly and gently will not damage, but a sharp impact of lesser force will

That reminds of that saying, "Just Because you Can Do Something Doesn't mean You SHOULD! "

Yes the bearings see a great amount of different forces when performing the Job you acquired it for and could probably handle the job of being a "lifting point" as well but why would you choose that point over better options considering the potential problems that may arise by doing so!

Machine weight and spindle forces during opertation are not related in any way! One says nothing about the other. Treat your machine that way at your own peril. Yow!

Edit: Heh, that's like saying your axles are rated at 2500 lbs each, and then putting that weight on your F150's roof!

It has been my overwhealming experience that the majority of the "Pros" I have worked with don't know SQUAT about their own profession!

That glance he gave you wasn't "You are an idiot and don't know what you are talking about"... it was actually "If the spindle turns one full revolution after I unload it then it is your problem that the spindle bearings are shot, NOT MINE!"

But I suppose it is possible that your "Pro" actually knew more about moving your lathe than the lathe manfuacturer.... yeah right!

NEVER ASSUME ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY THEY DO AND PRETEND LIKE THEY DO!!!!!!

Do you take advice from the 18 yo kid working the electrical department at HomeDepot... Hahahahahha!

Last edited:
Always remember that a "professional" is someone who is paid to do a job, it is his profession. It does not mean that he is competent or qualified.

It would be interesting to know which spindle could withstand more static force:
South Bend style sleeve or shell bearing or,
Roller/Ball bearing
My money is on the Southie because of the large bearing surface area. Especially on the ones with cast iron bearing surfaces

My money is on the Southie because of the large bearing surface area. Especially on the ones with cast iron bearing surfaces
But all that weight on those 4 little cap screws. At least some newer ones with roller bearings, have the whole side of the head casting surrounding the spindle & bearings. I cannot imagine lifting that way with any lathe larger then 6 or 9 inches.

Oh I agree, I was disregarding that for the sake of discussion, but yes you would have to take that into account and the strength of the bearing caps and the resistance of the headstock casting to deform as well as the strength of the spindle itself
I was just considering which of the two bearing styles would survive the most lateral static loading without damage

Back