Lifting a lathe versus force on spindle bearing

Oh I agree, I was disregarding that for the sake of discussion, but yes you would have to take that into account and the strength of the bearing caps and the resistance of the headstock casting to deform as well as the strength of the spindle itself
I was just considering which of the two bearing styles would survive the most lateral static loading without damage
Gotcha. Think of the smaller size of wheel bearings, they take tremendous forces, without damage. A sleeve bearing, like the SB, lifting will put the 1,000 to 3,000 lbs on the thin top section of the brass shell. Yes, the forces are spread some due to the matching diameters, But I would put my money on the roller bearings taking the lift better. It is a good question, and now I will be tossing it around, just for the sake of wondering.

I wish I knew calculus better, I think it would solve it- area under a curve, that kind of stuff

This is the OP. I agree that the equipment mover should have lifted it the correct way, but at the same time, the blanket statement that the machine is ruined isn't valid either. The weight, how much of the lifting strap was on the headstock versus the spindle, and how heavy duty the spindle shaft is are all unknowns. Will the spindle deflect to some degree, yes, but the question is, will it spring back. All we know for sure is that it was a unnecessary risk of unknown magnitude. Guess I'll find out when a test piece is put in place, but even then, if there's an issue, it'll never be known whether or not it was due to previous abuse.

Regardless, I agree that "next time", the mover won't be allowed to cut corners.

Last edited:
This is the OP. I agree that the equipment mover should have lifted it the correct way, but at the same time, the blanket statement that the machine is ruined isn't valid either. The weight, how much of the lifting strap was on the headstock versus the spindle, and how heavy duty the spindle shaft is are all unknowns. Will the spindle deflect to some degree, yes, but the question is, will it spring back. All we know for sure is that it was a unnecessary risk of unknown magnetude. Guess I'll find out when a test piece is put in place, but even then, if there's an issue, it'll never be known whether or not it was already there.

Regardless, I agree that "next time", the mover won't be allowed to cut corners.
Thats a tough call. Best case, they listen, worst case, they pick up their toys, Go home, and still send you a bill.

I wish I knew calculus better, I think it would solve it- area under a curve, that kind of stuff

You would need to know how well the spindle and bearing fit. The less precise the fit, the less area in contact. Once you know the part of the circle with both in contact, then its just the area of a rectangle. the width of the bearing, times the length of the contact segment (think of a rectangle wrapped around a circle). On the SB, you have that little open area where the bearing spreader fits. I do not know how you would factor that in. I can picture most of the forces concentrating on the two edges.

Theirs acouple issues I see with lifting a lathe by the headstock. I don’t see it being with the spindle bearing forces. Yes they should be able to handle the weight. Size of lathe is the big question. 9x20 not so much but a 16x60 or larger that’s a really bad idea.
My concern would be headstock alignment. The riggers job is to move the piece of equipment. He does not care about it or how it operates just moving it.
What cracks me up is he could of just as easily wrapped his sling around the bed casting at the headstock end and accomplished the same thing which I’m sure he knows is the right way but he was being lazy and the client called him out on it and he used the experience route. Which is WRONG.

If I was having my lathe moved I would remove the chuck and everything possible (tailstock, compound, etc.)
Then provide the slings and lifting points that suit me for lifting. Right or wrong I would have to be OK with the way the lathe was handled.
If it means an argument then so be it. If someone has to be unhappy I prefer that it not be me.
"If someone has to be unhappy I prefer that it not be me."
This applies to many things in life, if one has knowledge and wisdom its a great philosophy, not so much for ignorant arseholes.
Back on topic, I would not lift even a smaller lathe by the spindle because as previously mentioned spindle and bearings are often not the weakest link. My Lathe would have the entire weight supported by a single 1/4" bolt clamping the front head stock bearing cap down.

As per Clausing manual. Steel flat bar under lathe bed. Once up off ground carriage gets moved either left or right to balance. Works perfectly. To load on truck I used a forklift with 2x6 laying on forks between bed and forks to prevent contact with lead screw .
7155690A-EDCC-4E07-8D39-BF83E704D75C.jpeg

I bought a used 15"x50" Clausing Colchester. Watched Them carefully while they backed up to the garage.Went into the house for a minute and came out to My lathe flying about 6' high with a strap under the chuck. After My blood pressure came back down to earth I asked why They did it that way. Said They do all of them like that for 20-30 years, same reasons as given above. It turns .002" taper in 2" and as of now cannot find or correct the error. Makes Me wonder what happened. Did it do this before? Who knows.

I wonder if you took the chuck off would they ask you to put it back on? then you could say no way bud

I bought a used 15"x50" Clausing Colchester. Watched Them carefully while they backed up to the garage.Went into the house for a minute and came out to My lathe flying about 6' high with a strap under the chuck. After My blood pressure came back down to earth I asked why They did it that way. Said They do all of them like that for 20-30 years, same reasons as given above. It turns .002" taper in 2" and as of now cannot find or correct the error. Makes Me wonder what happened. Did it do this before? Who knows.
Since you have nothing to lose, how about setting the chuck so that it points "down", then put a strap on the spindle and lift the lathe off the ground about 1/8". If what they did caused it, you may be able to undo it.

Back