Logan 14 Inch Do You Own One? Model 6565 In Particular

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I would be interested in hearing some straight talk opinions of this lathe from those who own one. I was assisting someone with locating a lathe for gunsmithing and found a 6565 in his area which he purchased. In researching the lathe for him I found myself wanting one of these lathes. Thanks.

I own a 6560. I think it's basically the same machine without the camlock chuck. It's a good lathe. I'm not really fond of vs drives but logans version is very simple and fairly quiet.

I have a 14" Logan/Powermatic which is very similar to the 6565, mine has a threaded spindle. Overall I am very satisfied with its rigidity and overall feel and operating characteristics. As for the variable drive, I have mine running on a VFD so I seldom ever change the spindle speed using the variable drive.

I own a 6560. I think it's basically the same machine without the camlock chuck. It's a good lathe. I'm not really fond of vs drives but logans version is very simple and fairly quiet.
Hello, I am in the process of purchasing a 6560 lathe. The motor and pulley is missing. From what I have read, The motor is a 2hp 3 phase. Does anyone know what size the motor pulley is and /or where I can get one? Also are parts hard to find for this model? such as the threading dial.

Thank you.

I believe mine has a 2hp. I don't know the pulley size but if I get a chance tomorrow I'll measure it for you. The motor and pulley wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but a thread dial might be hard to find. If I'm buying a machine that isn't under power, the value drops 50% immediately. It's a vs drive that might have issues. Add to that missing parts. You need to buy it at a serious discount.

Thanks guys for the info. I am going to (try to) post some pics of the lathe. It has been sitting in my bosses barn for about 10 years. I know he knows very little about lathes. Not that I know a ton. Someone broke into his barn and stole the motor from the lathe and some other machines. They also stole other items. We agreed on price of $550 for it. I just need to pick it up. Not sure if this is a good price.....

IMG_20160117_151201100.jpg IMG_20160117_151209607.jpg IMG_20160117_151217248.jpg IMG_20160117_151222576.jpg IMG_20160117_151503557.jpg IMG_20160117_151439447.jpg

Does he have the steady rest and/or the follow rest? Its been a bit modified vs original, seems to be missing the speed indicator, but then I'd convert it to VFD anyway so no biggie. Once concern is the rust on the ways, that's right where the carriage will spend a lot of its time. It looks heavy in one pic, but not as bad in another. Its worth $550 as a parts machine, more if it comes with the steady/follow rest, taper attachment, any change gears. If you buy it Evaporust will be your new best buddy.

I believe its what you see is what I will get. I don't think the seller would know what he has, if he does have any "extras". To be honest, Im not really sure why he even bought a lathe in the first place. We both work in a welding fabrication shop. We have an old BP milling machine and an older 17" swing lathe. I am the only one that operates these machines. which I only do simple machining.

As far as the rust goes, I have not seen the lathe in person so im not sure if its a light rust or if its pitted. I would be planning on using a VDF. Would I just by pass the whole VS drive? Just go with one belt?

One other thing. Lathes around here seem to go high and are usually the Frankenstein looking ones. The ones with a motor that sets behind the lathe with way to many pulleys and a flat belt.

The price seems ok. Strange that someone would steal the motor. The tailstock and chuck would have been a lot more valuable and whole lot easier to take.

Back