Logan 14 Inch Do You Own One? Model 6565 In Particular

Here's my Logan 14 X 30 as it sat at the dealer.

A0506.jpg

Since then I've added a DRO and a tachometer & prox sensor so I can set my RPMs as needed. The door on cabinet under the tailstock end opens from the end of the machine instead of the front. The dealer bought it at an estate sale of a machinist who had a one man shop and purchased it new sometime in the early 70's. Excellent condition and came with a Buck six jaw through set. I added a 12" and a 8" four jaw, a 6" 3 jaw that also mounts to my rotary table, and the collet chuck I already owned. Bought a Chinese steady rest off EBay and made a new base for it to fit the Logan. It has a 5hp 3 phase motor so I went with a rotary phase converter. Glad I did as I can run my surface grinder off the same RPC.

A0506.jpg

A0506.jpg

A0506.jpg

A0506.jpg

A0506.jpg

I am interested as well in how you added the tach, I have seen several different ways but yours would benefit us the most. Share PLEASE LOL

image.jpeg WOOHOOOO. LOOK WHAT I GOT FOR MY GIRL 6565

I found this guy on eBay he had the Jacobs head L0 and a full set of collets plus 1 extra collet listed for 1000.00 I offered him 300 and he took it afterwards we spoke on the phone and he threw in the 5 aloris and 1 Dorian tool holders you see CXA and the 6" 3jaw Pratt that was new old stock LO never installed for 500.00 SHIPPED.. He is awesome and since then I've bought other stuff from him.. He's a small machine reseller!

View attachment 126640

how did you go about the tachometer? seen a few different methods for this .

I bought the tach & prox from Automation Direct.

I'm fairly sure this is the tach: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc..._Counter_-z-_Timer_-z-_Tachometer/CTT-AN-A120

I'm not sure which prox I used, so it would be best to talk to a tech at A.D. I'm not that well schooled in electronics, but this was very simple, more like a single phase wiring job. There's a wheel on the spindle that has a drilled & tapped hole in which I put a bolt with a lock nut. I fabricated a bracket to mount the prox so the bolt would travel across the bolt's head each revolution. Just be careful not to hit the prox (don't ask how I know this). I placed the tach in a plastic electrical box, roughly 4 X 4 X 4, in which I drilled ventilation holes and a hole for a toggle switch for power on/off. Covered the holes from the inside with window screen to keep chips from falling into the box & shorting out the tach.

Ran the wires where they are fairly well protected.

BTW, I have a two speed motor & backgear giving me 4 speed ranges. Using a tach was the simplest approach to indicate the spindle RPM.

Here's a pic of the ways up by the headstock:
DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
could you snap some pics or even a video of how you went about this? that would be a huge help!!

DSCN1546_zpsxxnreuuz.jpg

DSCN1549_zpsnbo0i2uc.jpg

DSCN1548_zpsaxqh6iqu.jpg

DSCN1547_zpsga4ipom0.jpg

Make sure the prox bracket has as little wiggle in it as possible. My first one moved around too much & I ended up replacing the prox.

DSCN1546_zpsxxnreuuz.jpg

DSCN1549_zpsnbo0i2uc.jpg

DSCN1548_zpsaxqh6iqu.jpg

DSCN1547_zpsga4ipom0.jpg

DSCN1546_zpsxxnreuuz.jpg

DSCN1549_zpsnbo0i2uc.jpg

DSCN1548_zpsaxqh6iqu.jpg

DSCN1547_zpsga4ipom0.jpg

DSCN1546_zpsxxnreuuz.jpg

DSCN1549_zpsnbo0i2uc.jpg

DSCN1548_zpsaxqh6iqu.jpg

DSCN1547_zpsga4ipom0.jpg

DSCN1546_zpsxxnreuuz.jpg

DSCN1549_zpsnbo0i2uc.jpg

DSCN1548_zpsaxqh6iqu.jpg

DSCN1547_zpsga4ipom0.jpg

DSCN1546_zpsxxnreuuz.jpg

DSCN1549_zpsnbo0i2uc.jpg

DSCN1548_zpsaxqh6iqu.jpg

DSCN1547_zpsga4ipom0.jpg

Does he have the steady rest and/or the follow rest? Its been a bit modified vs original, seems to be missing the speed indicator, but then I'd convert it to VFD anyway so no biggie. Once concern is the rust on the ways, that's right where the carriage will spend a lot of its time. It looks heavy in one pic, but not as bad in another. Its worth $550 as a parts machine, more if it comes with the steady/follow rest, taper attachment, any change gears. If you buy it Evaporust will be your new best buddy.

Check Surpluscenter.com for an electric motor.

Back