Logan 1935-2 lathe

That tool holder is a strange one. There looks to be a Dixon type on the 1 position and the regular turret for the other 3 positions.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Tom, I think it says Acme 35 on the side of the actual tool holder which fits into a dovetail in that tool post. It is one Heavy duty tool post.

Today I removed the compound rest assembly. I have 2 but the regular one was on the machine when I got it. I also have the double tool post compound top that I could use. I prefer not too. So I tore into the regular one. Shaft is dhot as is the shaft nut plus I need a new bearing part la 137 and if in stock and cheap I'll get a new dial too. My parts manual and operating manual and a current parts cost list should be here this week. I ordered them from Scott Logan. So far this is the only thing bad and in need of repairs before I can use it. So now clean the crud up, strip the paint and get it done. And you can kinda see the banged up top. I need to work on that area too. Should look and operate like new when I'm done.

Attachments

• 20230307_124104.jpg
    20230307_124104.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230307_124050.jpg
    20230307_124050.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 17
I had hope that this lathe was in better condition than it is. The compound screw and nut will be replaced too. The graduated dial cleaned up nice. I'm surprised the rest of ot it is ok, so far. I haven't even taken the chuck off yet. I should have had the seller do it just in case that's an issue.

I got lucky in that the chuck just came off easily with no issues. Threads are in good condition.

Attachments

• 20230308_065912.jpg
    20230308_065912.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 8
I think I finally got lucky. I pick up my lathe on Monday. A really nice Logan 1935-2 shipped to Marshal machinery sales in Los Angeles on August 28, 1959. I already spoke with Scott at Logan. Ordered a manual for it. Really great service. This machine was owned by a model airplane builder so it never saw any heavy loads. The person selling it purchased it as a backup lathe and never really used it. Comes with 3 & 4 jaw chuck. Collet tool and collets, Jacob's chuck. Face plate and it has a new motor. Scott has the original records for each serial number and who purchased it. He also said all the Extra goodies including the chucks would have been an extra charge. He also said Marshall's in Los Angeles were a big Logan customer. I'll post pictures on Monday when we go fetch it home. And the seller took a short video of it running so I could listen to it. Nice and quiet.
Mike
I started doing production machining on a 11 inch Logan in 1953 and I think it came from Marshal tools in L A. Doing production work I used the production tool cross slide for years . Even thread cutting . Many times using all 6 positions on the turret and a 4 way front tool post and back tool on cross slide. You should look into 5c step collets, ID collets and turret tools like box tools ,knurling tools, die heads and the like. I may even have a threading dial I will look when I can get to my shop. Right now too much snow . I have a few videos using box tools ,ball turners on the Logan you might like.
google Jimsehr machinist.
Not sure yet. The 6 position turret has some benefits.
Mike
I would try to get both a steady and a tailstock. But
I would also keep the turret. Mike have you ever used a turret?

I started doing production machining on a 11 inch Logan in 1953 and I think it came from Marshal tools in L A. Doing production work I used the production tool cross slide for years . Even thread cutting . Many times using all 6 positions on the turret and a 4 way front tool post and back tool on cross slide. You should look into 5c step collets, ID collets and turret tools like box tools ,knurling tools, die heads and the like. I may even have a threading dial I will look when I can get to my shop. Right now too much snow . I have a few videos using box tools ,ball turners on the Logan you might like.
google Jimsehr machinist.

I would try to get both a steady and a tailstock. But
I would also keep the turret. Mike have you ever used a turret?
Thanks for that great Info. My double tool post is missing one tool post, plus the wedges. I just picked up a Logan tailstock in Oxnard. They were asking 300, i offered 200 and they accepted. So here is a picture of said tailstock. Needs a good cleaning and new paint.
As far as a turret goes, I have never used one. But this one seems to operate just fine. Maybe I should keep it and try it out. Looking forward to looking at your videos. I called Logan this morning and asked about a tailstock. Talk about sticker shock. Over $1,200 and change.
Mike

Attachments

• 20230308_141704.jpg
    20230308_141704.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230308_141657.jpg
    20230308_141657.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for that great Info. My double tool post is missing one tool post, plus the wedges. I just picked up a Logan tailstock in Oxnard. They were asking 300, i offered 200 and they accepted. So here is a picture of said tailstock. Needs a good cleaning and new paint.
As far as a turret goes, I have never used one. But this one seems to operate just fine. Maybe I should keep it and try it out. Looking forward to looking at your videos. I called Logan this morning and asked about a tailstock. Talk about sticker shock. Over $1,200 and change.
Mike
I don’t know what kind of parts you will be working on but I have made a couple steady rests for my Logan’s and can tell you how I made them if interested. I own three 11 inch Logan’s that I am working on now.
Also I think I will make a video of using all six turret positions just because all the videos I have seen on you tube seem lacking in showing their potential.
I am posting pic of cube with balls inside made on my Logan.

Attachments

• 64A9142C-941D-4E0A-A054-3B4462AEB717.jpeg
    64A9142C-941D-4E0A-A054-3B4462AEB717.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I don’t know what kind of parts you will be working on but I have made a couple steady rests for my Logan’s and can tell you how I made them if interested. I own three 11 inch Logan’s that I am working on now.
Also I think I will make a video of using all six turret positions just because all the ones I have seen on you tube seem lacking in showing their potential.
I am posting pic of cube with balls inside made on my Logan.
That's some awesome work with a Logan. The place I got the tailstock from also has the gear box assembly that came off of the same lathe for $100.00 maybe I should grab it to. I just pulled the cover off the main gear to take a peek. From a quick glance everything looks good, no broken gears.

Attachments

• 20230308_171118.jpg
    20230308_171118.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 11
That's some awesome work with a Logan. The place I got the tailstock from also has the gear box assembly that came off of the same lathe for $100.00 maybe I should grab it too. I just pulled the cover off the main gear to take a peek. From a quick glance everything looks good, no broken gears.
I would jump on any spare parts for your lathe. And I think one rear tool post is all you need. In the old old days a quick change tool post in front was rare.

Back