Logan 1935-2 lathe

Now I have a maintenance question. With that rear gibb bar just being worn on both ends should I try re using it or put a new one one on it. By design the center of this gib is not adjustable at all as it has a screw going in from the top to hold it in place I would imagine. It hadn't been adjusted in years I think. I can pull it off the holder and straighten it. I also need to check the holder, it may be bowed.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Mike

This lathe should be named ISSUES. So now that the saddle is off I had questions on some internal bits. One is part # 46 listed as a Saddle Lock Nut. Kinda of an important nut if you ever want to do any serious Facing and try to lock said saddle down. Someone attempted to try to use a T slot nut to do the job. So another call to Logan for that part. I even asked Scott would the T nut work? He said maybe. I don't like maybe so that's on my order now too. Now I'm just cleaning parts.
When I'm finished with this it should be a decent lathe.

As long as you have the saddle apart you might look at my post on this site called Not a follow rest. By facing a few thousands off the ground saddle base to true it to the ways and spindle then mounting a plate to front of saddle base with 1 bolt and 2 dowel pins so it is easy to replace quickly and true to spindle. Then mount plate and drill a hole in it so hole is on center of lathe. Now that hole is dead on to center move plate to mill rotary table open hole to size you want and put in 3 adjustable slots and you have a front rest where you can support stock about 1/2 inch ahead of cutter allowing you turn long small dia parts . For example 1/2 dia to 1/8 die in one pass. Once made plate can be removed or remounted in a few minutes. Also could turn say 1/8 dia then change quick change to make a form tool shape then go back to say 1/8 dia. If you want to turn extra long lengths you would need a support to keep it from whipping.

Making progress on the cleanup. On the Carriage rear gib. Both set screws frozen in place. I don't think it had been adjusted since it left the factory. There was a large amount grease oil and shavings between the adjustable gib and carriage. So now that's clean. And the parts for the compound rest top came today. So rebuilding that is next.

I forgot to mention how I got those screws out. I sprayed with deep creep yesterday. And today they still wouldn't move. A couple of minutes heating each one up with a propane torch did the trick and I could see the oil bubbling around the screws. They came right out.

More work completed. I finished the compound rest. Now no slop and no play. Still waiting for a parts delivery from logan.

Logan cabinet door handle. I'm in need of a new door handle for the right hand door. Original had a lock. I don't need a lock but I want something that doesn't stick to far out. I hate banging my shins. Any idea on where to get these appreciated. Opening is 0.6250 across the flats and 0.7300 vertical.
Mike

Attachments

• 20230405_094010.jpg
    20230405_094010.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230405_094023.jpg
    20230405_094023.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230405_114000.jpg
    20230405_114000.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I picked out 2 new handles from McMaster carr. Should work ok. I have the saddle finished including the rear gib. I'm waiting for parts from Logan that should arrive tomorrow then I can attach the apron.

Attachments

• 20230406_100941.jpg
    20230406_100941.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230406_100932.jpg
    20230406_100932.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 8
My last parts order from Logan showed up today. So more cleaning and then start assembling the saddle stop and apron.

Attachments

• 20230407_140136.jpg
    20230407_140136.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 6
Called Logan this morning. One last part. The spindel take up nut LA 1019. Not in stock but they will make one and get it to me next week. I would guess it's on Autocad. I think Scott said $84.00.

Back