Logan 6561 H Restoration

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is the restoration story of my 6561 H Logan lathe. It has a 14 inch swing and 40 inch between centers. Well, after having the lathe for seven years, I made it my priority to be the first project when I retired. It took me 9 solid months (almost every day) to get it completed. I totally underestimated the project for time. I made the mistake of comparing it to my Bridgeport restoration. The lathe had more challenges in making parts and modifications that the mill just didn't have. Plus, there are way more parts to a lathe. Let's see if I can do the story just in my reporting.

I'll start by telling what I started with. It was a Craig's List buy locally. It had no motor and was badly used and wore out. Most of everything else was there except the spindle brake was missing. I know it had a brake because the control panel had the feature for it. Ever since I hauled it home I searched daily for a brake on eBay. As luck would have it have it, I manage to score a brake assembly just months before I started this project. I guess waiting had an advantage. The brake assembly also came with a new control housing and forward and reverse push buttons. This all led to the removal of the drum switch modification.

Anyhow, let the story begin. Here are the pics of what I started with. Oh, and did I say, I love this machine? I use it all the time.

Logan Lathe - Delivery - 4.JPGLogan Lathe - Delivery - 5.JPGLogan Lathe - Delivery - 6.JPGLogan Lathe - Delivery - 7.JPG
Drive Cabinet 06.JPGDrive Cabinet 07.JPG

Hi Randy - it's good to see you posting here again!! Looking forward to the in-process and 'after' pictures.

Hey Randy- I remembered you had one of those. Did you ever dig up a steady rest for it? Or make one?
I know accessories are very scarce for the 14"
-Mark

Hi Randy - it's good to see you posting here again!! Looking forward to the in-process and 'after' pictures.
Thanks John, I'll try to do the thread justice.
Hey Randy- I remembered you had one of those. Did you ever dig up a steady rest for it? Or make one?
I know accessories are very scarce for the 14"
-Mark
Hey Mark,
No steady rest yet, bought or made. Yeah, you are correct, the 14s just don't have the used part pool the smaller lathes have. I am considering a follow rest more than a steady rest. And you are right, I'll have to probably make one. Still need to research the follow rest vs the steady rest dilemma.

Normally these threads are chronological. Since my project is totally completed, I am going to do this a little differently. I have my pictures in broken down in folders as subassemblies. I think I'll just go through those in order. I may be missing some photos that would help tell the story better but, I this is all I have. I hope you all enjoy my project.

Here are the Apron photos.

Apron 03.JPGApron 07.JPGApron 08.JPGApron 09.JPGApron 11.JPGApron 20.JPGApron 21.JPGApron 22.JPG

All the red parts are powder coated along with the smaller parts. All the larger parts were painted with Valspar gray with hardener applied with a roller. I am really happy with how it all turned out.

I did use a sealant when I did the final assembly on the apron. I guess I only have final assembly photos of the apron as a complete machine.

Oh, I did buy new half nuts and thrust bearig from Scott.

So glad to see you back Randy.. I look forward to watching this thread progress. A roller.... you are a brave man... I can barely control a brush... It's kind of like my penmanship... I can't read what I wrote... :frown 2:

So far it looks top notch.

One of the modifications I made that worked out extremely well was the changing the shelf storage cabinet to drawers. I cut the three welded in shelves and the front of the cabinet with the door. I then inserted a Lista drawer unit into the cabinet and welded it all in place. Drawers are so much more efficient at storage than shelves. And, they are easier to use. This is an upgrade I just love.

Drawer Cabinet 02.JPGDrawer Cabinet 04.JPGDrawer Cabinet 08.JPGDrawer Cabinet 09.JPGDrawer Cabinet 10.JPGLathe Final Assembly - 07.JPG

One of the modifications I made that worked out extremely well was the changing the shelf storage cabinet to drawers. I cut the three welded in shelves and the front of the cabinet with the door. I then inserted a Lista drawer unit into the cabinet and welded it all in place. Drawers are so much more efficient at storage than shelves. And, they are easier to use. This is an upgrade I just love.

That looks awesome. Really nice job. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks John, I'll try to do the thread justice.

Hey Mark,
No steady rest yet, bought or made. Yeah, you are correct, the 14s just don't have the used part pool the smaller lathes have. I am considering a follow rest more than a steady rest. And you are right, I'll have to probably make one. Still need to research the follow rest vs the steady rest dilemma.
Wow...great project!

Not long ago I bought a nice example of the shorter 6510H and only recently started using it. All I can say is "wow"...it's way, way more machine than my 13" Sheldon. I have a Clausing 6913 that's similar in size (have the apron off it) but haven't used it at all yet. I'm eager to compare the two. I would love to find a 6561...I think that's darned near the ideal 14" home shop lathe.

I talked to Scott and they do still sell the steady and follow....not cheap, but I'm going to buy both rather than wait forever hoping to find one used (which probably won't be cheap either).

I got a 6560 myself, very jealous of your L-00 spindle!

The drawer modification is well done!

Back