Logan 6561 H Restoration

I talked to Scott and they do still sell the steady and follow....not cheap, but I'm going to buy both rather than wait forever hoping to find one used (which probably won't be cheap either).

Hey Bart,

Yeah, Scott knows what his parts are worth. Did you get prices on the rests?

One of my challenges was the QCGB. Some of the gears were badly worn. My options were by new or make new. After some investigation I found it was cheaper or about the same to just buy the cutters and make my own. I have to say I am learning new things about machine tool operations all the time. Not to mention the self-gratification. I love this hobby. The housing and levers are powder coated. Oh, someone seriously crashed this thing, but did a great repair. The lever shaft bushings were completely broken out of the housing. The keys in the lever gears are glued in with permanent Lock-Tite. Here are the pictures of the QCGB restoration.
QCGB 04.JPGQCGB 08.JPGQCGB A1.JPGQCGB A6.JPGQCGB Gear Cutting 04.JPGQCGB Gear Cutting 06.JPGQCGB Gear Cutting 14.JPGQCGB Gear Cutting 15.JPGQCGB Gear Cutting 16.JPGLathe Final Assembly - 11.JPG

I got a 6560 myself, very jealous of your L-00 spindle!

The drawer modification is well done!

Thanks.

Yeah the L-00 seems to be a good mounting style. Problem is, you have to use adapter plates for a lot of things. You can still get some chucks and I have a Jacobs collet system that are direct L-00 mounts. What type of spindle style does your machine have?

Great job on the restoration

Any more pictures to come?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Bart,

Yeah, Scott knows what his parts are worth. Did you get prices on the rests?
I did get prices on the rests (I bought the manual and included is the old to new parts list and then a price list). The steady is $600 and the follow is $400.

That's certainly not cheap, but I spent $350 for the used follower for my 14" Clausing and I've sold three or four orphaned steadies on eBay for anywhere from $350 to $600 so I was expecting prices in that range.

I have been unable to find a follower for my 13" Sheldon despite checking all the usual sites literally every single day for the past couple of years. I'm about 3/4 of the way through making a follower for it, but I have so many hours tied up in it I can't remember how many. That, and I'm not sure it will work as well in the end! I would gladly pay $400 if I found a clean original for it.

I will say the one good thing about making a follower is that I'm moving the fingers closer to the chuck to better align with tools used in a QCTP rather than a lantern tool post, so that's a positive.

Keep the pictures of your restoration coming...fantastic work! I was on the fence about painting my Logan as the original paint is pretty good, but now I'm jealous!

Thanks.

Yeah the L-00 seems to be a good mounting style. Problem is, you have to use adapter plates for a lot of things. You can still get some chucks and I have a Jacobs collet system that are direct L-00 mounts. What type of spindle style does your machine have?
I have the 2 1/4 threaded spindle. Bright side is I did get the collet closer with mine.

Mine also lacked the proper follow and steady rests. Did come with follow rest to a colechester (maybe a clausing), but it would have been a travesty and a lot of work to modify for my lathe, so up it went on eBay. Mine came with a steady rest from another unknown machine, but minimal modifications made it fit to my lathe. Still haven’t gotten around to making a follow rest.

Another upgrade was the controls. The machine still had the drum switch and the control panel had some pushbuttons to do the same thing. The control panel also had the brake handle that was attached to nothing. I welded up all the unnecessary holes along with the drum switch hole in the motor cabinet. As I stated earlier in the thread I managed to find the rest of the spindle brake and added it to the machine. I also cut the door hinges to the drive cabinet off and replaced them with some external lift off hinges. I like the idea of being able to remove the door if I have to. What great upgrades these are. Here are the pics.

Lathe Final Assembly - 10.JPGSpindle Brake Handle.JPGSpindle Brake.JPGLogan Lathe - Delivery - 8.JPGDrive Cabinet 14.JPGDrive Cabinet 17.JPG

The electrical was a total redo. A little bigger box and a whole new design. A friend of mine did the schematic and component specifications and did the labor. I mentioned I was planning on running a separate 110v line to the lathe for future tool post grinder and DRO. He said why don't we just add 110v outlets to the box of the 220. Well, needless to say that was a GREAT idea. We put one 110v outlet in the front and 2 outlets in the back. The tool post grinder and DRO is yet to come. I am really happy with how it all turned out.

Electrical Panel 01.JPGElectrical Panel 02.JPGLathe Electriccal Controls - 01.JPGLathe Electriccal Controls - 05.JPGLathe Electriccal Controls - 08.JPG

Back