Logan/mw 04tlc-701a Purchase

Just a bit more on the different cross slide with T slots on my 701A. I found this: http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html . Someone was making a T-slot cross slide casting for SB and Logan. Don't know if they're still doing this.
There are links to follow that seem to indicate these type of cross slides were better known some years back before affordable mills were available.
Perhaps this is old/known information to the veterans on this site. If so, please excuse a newbie for bringing it up again.

That's the same supplier that Rex included a link to in post #4 above.
No problem for double posting, I often feel like I'm going around in circles when I am quickly trying to research something new.

Have you seen the manuals/photos posted over here:

Logan Engineering:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2093&tab=3

Montgomery Ward and Co.:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=555&tab=3

Montgomery Ward | Powr-Kraft:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=657&tab=3

Each of those pages linked above have tabs that give great stuff like company history, "Publication Reprints" and "Photo Index".
You need to poke around a bit to see all the great stuff.
I did NOT see any just like yours, but I also did NOT look at everything.

You can also get to the list of manufacturers from their main page here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

Keep having fun!
-brino

Perhaps this is old/known information to the veterans on this site. If so, please excuse a newbie for bringing it up again.

I'm much closer to a newbie than a veteran myself, but I tried to provide precisely this type of information in comment #4.

Please forgive the direct questions, but did you not follow the links in that comment, not realize there were links, or was I somehow otherwise unclear? I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I'm sincerely trying to point out relevant helpful information in my comments but it sometimes seems my effort goes to waste. It took me a more than a moment to annotate that comment and some of the information it links to (in particular my thread on machining that precise casting!). It's frustrating to see you write that you "found this" after I tried pretty hard to point you right at it! <laugh>

Thanks for posting your reply from Logan Actuators. It makes me very happy to see a commercial business reply at all to a letter from a hobbyist (tersely or not). Fewer and fewer companies seem willing to do so. I've seen people give Logan grief for their "exorbitant" prices and surly support of hobbyists, but clearly its a labor of love that they provide those services at all — there just isn't enough of a market to make much of a business providing those parts, manuals, and answering questions.

Logan also thinks that the s/n is 9898. That 1065P is a real mystery, though (the poor alignment of the 69 convinces me that this was stamped by a previous owner). I have this vague memory (probably incorrect) of reading somewhere that when a QCGB was added as a customized option at the factory to a lathe without one they sometimes added an additional s/n. I could be completely off base, but I wonder if the 1065P is to indicate that it was modified with a new leadscrew and QCGB? (Adding a QCGB to the lathe mandates replacing the leadscrew, I believe.)

Regards,
--
Rex

That's the same supplier that Rex included a link to in post #4 above.

Heh. Thanks — I'm not talking to myself! <laugh>

Our replies crossed in the ether.
--
Rex

I'm much closer to a newbie than a veteran myself, but I tried to provide precisely this type of information in comment #4.

Please forgive the direct questions, but did you not follow the links in that comment, not realize there were links, or was I somehow otherwise unclear? I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I'm sincerely trying to point out relevant helpful information in my comments but it sometimes seems my effort goes to waste. It took me a more than a moment to annotate that comment and some of the information it links to (in particular my thread on machining that precise casting!). It's frustrating to see you write that you "found this" after I tried pretty hard to point you right at it! <laugh>

Thanks for posting your reply from Logan Actuators. It makes me very happy to see a commercial business reply at all to a letter from a hobbyist (tersely or not). Fewer and fewer companies seem willing to do so. I've seen people give Logan grief for their "exorbitant" prices and surly support of hobbyists, but clearly its a labor of love that they provide those services at all — there just isn't enough of a market to make much of a business providing those parts, manuals, and answering questions.

Logan also thinks that the s/n is 9898. That 1065P is a real mystery, though (the poor alignment of the 69 convinces me that this was stamped by a previous owner). I have this vague memory (probably incorrect) of reading somewhere that when a QCGB was added as a customized option at the factory to a lathe without one they sometimes added an additional s/n. I could be completely off base, but I wonder if the 1065P is to indicate that it was modified with a new leadscrew and QCGB? (Adding a QCGB to the lathe mandates replacing the leadscrew, I believe.)

Regards,
--
Rex
I am really appreciative of your and other's comments and helpfulness. I did read your reply and went very briefly to the link you provided yesterday but did not get a chance to check it out as I had a bunch of stuff on the plate. I had good intentions of going back and checking it out. This morning I was doing some further Googling and through another source came across the same link without recognizing it as such, but since I had more time while waiting for an appt to show up, I did click on some of the listed items on the site and that is where my comment came from. It did not 'click' with me that this was the same link you provided.
So I feel properly chastised and am issuing my mea culpa to any and all who felt slighted and hope to move on with good will among all.
Jerry

So I feel properly chastised and am issuing my mea culpa to any and all who felt slighted and hope to move on with good will among all.

Heh. There was no slight and no apology is required. I was just wondering if you just didn't see the links for some reason (on my browser the colors are close enough that it's hard to tell they even are links). Glad you got there in the end.

I don't think yours is exactly the same casting because it doesn't have any ears (although I milled mine off in the end as well). You may find interesting my adventures in machining a casting to end up with a cross-slide very similar to what you already own. Do you know anything about the previous owners? I wonder which of them made that cross-slide.

You might also be interested in the book "The Model Engineers Workshop Manual" by George H. Thomas (GHT). The projects in that book go a long way toward explaining why those tee-slots in the rear of the cross-slide are so useful. I'm really curious why one of your tee slots is filled in with plaster or cement.

Have fun.
--
Rex

Heh. There was no slight and no apology is required. I was just wondering if you just didn't see the links for some reason (on my browser the colors are close enough that it's hard to tell they even are links). Glad you got there in the end.

I don't think yours is exactly the same casting because it doesn't have any ears (although I milled mine off in the end as well). You may find interesting my adventures in machining a casting to end up with a cross-slide very similar to what you already own. Do you know anything about the previous owners? I wonder which of them made that cross-slide.

You might also be interested in the book "The Model Engineers Workshop Manual" by George H. Thomas (GHT). The projects in that book go a long way toward explaining why those tee-slots in the rear of the cross-slide are so useful. I'm really curious why one of your tee slots is filled in with plaster or cement.

Have fun.
--
Rex

Regarding the previous owners: Very little is known. I found out about the lathe on Portland CL about 3 months ago. It was listed for $750 with a warning it was in a basement and would require four strong guys to take it up five steps to the outside. There was very little other information and a couple of poor photos that gave no clue to a neophyte like myself. I decided not to inquire. A few weeks ago it popped up again, this time at $550 OBO so I decided to go look.

The gentleman who owned the lathe had passed away about 9 years ago just 4 or 5 days after he got the lathe. So its likely I got it just as he got it. His widow was selling it through a family friend who was my contact. Neither the widow or her friend had any background information. He could only tell me it was a 10 inch MW Lathe. The photo I posted is exactly as I saw it and set out all that I know. I wish there was more information from previous owner(s) but I've gotten more on this site than from the seller. It will just have to remain a mystery as to the origin of the cross-slide and why one of the tee slots is filled in. Perhaps someone here on HM can provide a rationale for filling in the tee slot. I am taking an evening machine shop class at a local community college so will take some of the photos next time I go and show them to the instructor and see if he can hazard a guess regarding the modifications.

BTW the evening machine shop class is the buy of the century if you are a senior and auditing (no college credits earned). $25.90 for ten 3-hour evening classes which are almost entirely hands-on. That includes a limited amount of metal for projects. Once mandatory student projects are done and you demonstrate some proficiency you are welcome to bring projects from home to work on. Only 8 in the class and four of us are seniors. The three other guys are all retired machinists so a lot of help is available in addition to the instructor. I'm lovin' it.

A name found in several of the 40's/50's vintage catalogs was "Turret Cross Slide". The slide by default was sold with a front 4-way turret tool holder and a rear fixed single tool holder. They were usually offered as part of the means for converting an engine lathe to a turret lathe (the other part being a tailstock turret). I have both of them for a 12" Atlas.

You can also mount a QCTP in place of the 4-way turret. The chief disadvantage of most of the OEM ones was that there was no provision for mounting a compound assembly. The two (I only recall two but there may be more) homebrew projects I've seen here and in the Atlas Forum both had provision for mounting the compound on the front end of the longer and heavier cross slide.

And not to be confused with boring tables that were sold by some OEM's or third parties.

BTW the evening machine shop class is the buy of the century if you are a senior and auditing (no college credits earned). $25.90 for ten 3-hour evening classes which are almost entirely hands-on. That includes a limited amount of metal for projects. Once mandatory student projects are done and you demonstrate some proficiency you are welcome to bring projects from home to work on. Only 8 in the class and four of us are seniors. The three other guys are all retired machinists so a lot of help is available in addition to the instructor. I'm lovin' it.

Wow that sounds fantastic!
I'm glad you found that wonderful avenue for machine time and "face time" with experienced folks. Soak it in!

I am also glad you found this site. Keep the fire burning and please keep posting!

By the way, you should be able to pick up some metal for free. I always find people giving away old printers and scanners; they have a bunch of steel rods.

-brino

Thank you brino for the encouragement. There are Community Colleges (2 year institutions) in lots of towns. When I wanted to learn more about welding I lived in Portland and went to a Saturday welding classes in one of their Community Colleges. The course was designed for hobby level welding skills so it was mostly hands-on. It was inexpensive and added to my then meager welding skills. Now I'm trying to add to my skills by learning to operate machine tools--mostly lathe and mill. Both the welding and this are unbelievably inexpensive. I wish I had done this years ago. One of the side benefits has been that I was able to narrow down what I was looking for in a lathe for my shop at home. I would never have learned to sharpen a drill bit properly or shape my own HSS cutting/forming tools without the classes. I would encourage anyone to find their nearest Community College and talk to the vocational education people there to see if there are classes in machine shop that fit your needs and schedule. I'm a believer in their mission which fills a real void in technical education whether for employment or for hobby.

Back