Logan/mw 04tlc-701a Purchase

Here's a couple of pics of mine, i think its original Logan. The adjustable shims, or parallels, were long gone when I got it, so the PO used a variety of materials for height, tool bits, feeler guage leafs, etc. Mine is missing the front cover, but was otherwise intact.

IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0375.JPG

Also, I note that Robert's image shows the parting tool mounted directly rather than in a separate holder. Not sure why the original owner of Chris's lathe made a separate holder.

47 Convertible is Jerry Brown. I wish my mother had named me Chris instead of Jerry but Jerry it is.
Interesting.

To my surprise, Logan did offer a couple replacement double tool cross-slides. I went back and look at the back pages of my Logan/Wards catalog and found this:

View attachment 112212

Neither is what Jerry has, obviously.

Logan used adjustable wedges rather than a rocker design to adjust tool height. It's interesting to me that neither can mount the standard compound in the front (as Jerry's can, as well as the one I built).

I haven't spent much time with lantern/rocker style tool posts, and no time at all with wedges. I wonder which is more fiddly to use in practice?

Regards,
--
Rex

Lathe finally came home today. Turned out to be a fairly easy move out of that basement and into the back of the pickup. Table and Lathe were already separated. Nothing like having a much younger, larger and stronger friend to help. Some photos posted below. The cross slide bare of the compound reveals itself. Someone had asked about looking into the headstock so a few photos there but don't know if I got the specific area of interest there. Did look closely enough to see the pulleys are for V belts not flat as I thought and the brake band (?) is the leather lined steel strap adjacent to pulleys.

I started cleaning the table and still likely have a couple of hours on that before it will be paintable. I'm not a stickler for original colors and the headstock wouldn't appear to be original color anyway so thought to paint table a medium gray but want a durable product not prone to chipping or flaking. Any guidance there?
Jerry

Logan comes home 001.JPG Logan comes home 003.JPG Logan comes home 004.JPG Logan comes home 006.JPG Logan comes home 007.JPG Logan comes home 009.JPG Logan comes home 015.JPG Logan comes home 013.JPG

I'm allergic to painting (not to paint, just to painting) so I can't help you there.

It's nice to get a better view of the thing now that you've got it home.

It looks like a previous owner added several oiling caps to the quick-change gear box (very good idea — though from the photo it doesn't appear to have been oiled any time too recently!). Mine has no easy way to get oil on the gears.

The previous photo made me think one of the tee slots was filled with plaster or something, but it looks like it was actually a piece of delrin? I guess it's just to keep it from filling with chips when it's not being used (or possibly as additional support for something that needed to span the gap).

After I browsed through the 8 new photos you posted, the forum photo viewer thingy jumped me to your photo of all the rusty cutters and such. <shudder> It hurt seeing that photo the first time, much less twice!

Sorry for messing your name up. I'm starting to develop symptoms from that three-letter disease the doctor warned me about ("a," "g," "e").
--
Ray Jay Johnson

Jerry,

That is a very good looking lathe you have there.
A bit of clean-up and it should serve you well for many years.

That table looks HEAVY! At first glance I wondered if the middle had dipped under the weight of the lathe, but the mounting plates for it are right at the legs......so it must be just for getting the coolant back to the drain. A feature, not a bug. ;)

If you find any surprises, be sure to post back here. Obviously many folks are familiar with this lathe and interested in your project.

-brino

Last edited:
I am also glad you found this site. Keep the fire burning and please keep posting!
By the way, you should be able to pick up some metal for free. I always find people giving away old printers and scanners; they have a bunch of steel rods.
-brino[/QUOTE]
Nothing very exciting but a lot satisfying in cleaning up and painting. So far the table, headstock cover and gear train cover have had the treatment. Tailstock is next and then carriage assembly. The latter brings up a question. 1. Is there a manual on disassembly and adjustment that goes into more detail than the Operators Instruction and Parts List from Logan and if so how do I get it? 2. When it comes to removal of the carriage assembly does everything come off as a unit? Also, can I just take off the far end mount that holds the lead screw and crank the carriage to the end and remove it? Anything in the apron that's going to come apart once its free of the bed? Thanks for your continued help as I learn my way around this machine.

Logan lathe cleanup 2 001.JPG Logan lathe cleanup 2 006.JPG

Remove bracket at right end of the lead screw, then run the carriage down there, support the lead screw with something so it's not just hanging, and gently pull carriage off the tail stock end. Sometimes helps to loosen apron from carriage but not necessary.

Remove bracket at right end of the lead screw, then run the carriage down there, support the lead screw with something so it's not just hanging, and gently pull carriage off the tail stock end. Sometimes helps to loosen apron from carriage but not necessary.
Thanks for replying and providing the information.
ps. Back on October 5th you observed: "It has the quick change gearbox, but the plain apron, meaning that left/right power feed is still from the half nuts/lead screw and there is no clutch to slip if you crash it. so be careful with the power feeds."
Could you explain more about this please? Was there an option on the 10 inch MW/Logan lathes for the apron with a clutch? Seems from your observation there must have been and the clutch type was a safety feature to prevent damage? How would a newbie like myself tell the difference?

Jerry

Compare this apron;

To this one;

Also do some searching
here;

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lathe-list/conversations/messages

Lots of people have asked about it and done the conversion to an automatic apron with a clutch, iirc, involves some spacing issues, aprons may not be direct swap out

Oh, and here's another that might be helpful;

Last edited:
Many thanks eeler1. Just the sort of information I was hoping to get. I did sign up for the Yahoo group.
Jerry

Also, what on earth does "YAJOD" mean?

I've seen this in turn of the (last) century tool catalogues. It might be a wire code, from the days when telegraph messages were priced by the word. A salesman could send in an entire order, with these. A forerunner of the UPC.

Back