Make A Move ? Machinist Opportunity Naval Ship Yard

kennyv

Registered
Registered
Need to bounce some stuff off some of you guys perhaps get some feedback esp if anyone of you know anything about civilian Gov type jobs.

As some of you my know I am machinist working for private co last 15yrs. Last year or so been looking to change job move ect..( dead end Job) long story
In short I applied for a machinist job on USA Jobs for A naval ship yard in Portsmouth Virginia back in June 2015. Its a direct Gov Job not a Tier #1#2 Job shop. To date I had already applied through a process of applications And Pre- test ect.. Been following and applying for these sort of jobs 2 years now. Well a month or so ago I received an email saying I met criteria and was being considered for employment . It stated I should be expecting a phone interview In the upcoming week ,... never heard back. ( about 3 weeks ago)

Well few nights ago received the phone call with interview spoke to head supervisor of machine dept of Portsmouth Virginia Naval ship yard. We hit it off well spoke mostly shop for 2 hours . Now after conversation I am 99% positive I will have opportunity as he is sending Application to HRO dept . It will first go to screening than next step is for security background in which Im am confident that ill pass %100

Pretty much have my mind made up already but love to hear some feedback

Does anyone know anything about these civilian Gov type jobs?

Anyone know much about Portsmouth Virginia Naval ship yard?

And any reason why I should not up and move to take this job?

Ya think this like a solid opportunity near 100% guaranteed chance of a life time that I should not pass up?

Opinions welcome

Kenny V

Well, once you get through the probationary period, it's all most impossible to be fired. The pay is as good or better than the civilian market, and I'm sure the benefits are a full ride. I can't see a downside to it if you want to move from where you are at. And if you were in the military, I think that time counts toward your retirement. Sounds like an opportunity to me.

Ken
If your not happy where you are, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Go for it.
See if they offer moving / relocating assistance.

tomh

My eldest son, the one I'm building propellers for, has been a civilian employee of the U S GOV'T ever since college. Working in Logistics. Is looking to retire next year after 30 years. He's happy with the experience.

I have heard nothing but good reports Fri i spoke to 3 personal from the Naval yard and boy those folks are sure friendly . They all said come on down .. were praying for ya ..... its about time i get out of the NJ NY dog eat dog , rat race.... High taxes low pay Id be able to buy a home there straight out from my equity and have no morgage.. to worry bout .. the weather is better 20 min from VA beach good fishin No brainier
All id like to do is work hard ... get gray hair ( well i have gray hair already) than one day retire .

the more i hear is confirmation from God that the Door has been opened.

From what understand there is no probation period ....and the Gov dont lay off , only have reductions .. last one there was 1986 or something like that . The way i see it The Navy is not goin out of business anytime soon . And that place will always be there in operation as long as its on the map .

souds good ... good words keep em coming :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a great opportunity, only thing is, I don't think you'll get a chance to "work hard", it's a government job after all...:wink:

Yeah financially get 'the hell' out of NJ. I loved Cape May county NJ but dang. Virginia (I'm guessing the naval yard is near Virginia Beach) has even milder weather than NJ but not oppressively hot and humid like say NC. I almost moved to Virginia Beach and may yet make my way back there. Virginia does have a vehicle tax I wasn't too keen on you should check into that.

Well, once you get through the probationary period, it's all most impossible to be fired. The pay is as good or better than the civilian market, and I'm sure the benefits are a full ride. I can't see a downside to it if you want to move from where you are at. And if you were in the military, I think that time counts toward your retirement. Sounds like an opportunity to me.

Bingo! what Jim said. Civil Service provides a safe work environment, handsome pay and retirement. Completing probation is the key. Can't tell you much about the area.
Best of luck amigo.

1. Things have really changed here last few years. I grew up in NJ lived here all my life . in my early days there were plenty of machine jobs to found esp in manufacturing. Skilled machinist was paid what he was worth. Last 10 years many shops have closed down . everything is goin over seas..... today and even when ya find a decent job they dont wana pay . unless you are tool die aircraft or something that specilaizes. .. in our state they expect a machinist to have same pay grade as a machined operator . CNC jobs arent much better . JMHO if ya want to get something good it will be in area of a maint machinist where your service skill is utilized.

Yup thats the plan . AND you know its from the lord . Makes what seems impossible to possible .If this pulls through.. I will have NO MORTGAGE .. (pay maybe under 1k taxes yr) A big burden WILL BE REMOVED . esp being a single income an all . Im approaching 50 years old .. need to think whats next .... retirement , family... .. thought my current job i would retire with . Things changed in our Co last few years. . our management , no reviews 5 years., nothing new with our product line. Ohh btw they recently sold off a division that had potential growth. right now only thing i see is the cow getting milked dry and the worker dont even get a biscuit

Back