Make A Move ? Machinist Opportunity Naval Ship Yard

Congratulations Kenny! It is great to see someone come out the other side of a rough patch. Good things happen to good people! Enjoy the new job and we look forward to updates on your progress.

One step Closer Guys submitted all paper work.. looks like a few short weeks,,, Not even knowing what the place looks like I fig today id take a peke to see what it will be like and to my surprise IM liking it all I have to say is wow !!!!
quick pic search of shops not sure was which . However the 1st is definitely the shop 2nd, 3rd can be and last is actually a lathe room on one of the ships.. any ways im excited ..
More latter
Kenny v
141217-N-MA158-057.JPG machine_shop_9-1024x682.jpg imagesS4YWNRKL.jpg 041MachineShop_zps5b101955.jpg

Looking at those lathes reminds me of a place I went to years ago. There was a lathe there that had a 48 inch face plate and at least a 24 foot long table. The cross feed table even had a swing out stool on it. All I kept thinking is I would not want to be sitting on that stool if a stringy chip started toward me.

Looking at those lathes reminds me of a place I went to years ago. There was a lathe there that had a 48 inch face plate and at least a 24 foot long table. The cross feed table even had a swing out stool on it. All I kept thinking is I would not want to be sitting on that stool if a stringy chip started toward me.
One thing im glad for is I have worked on some big lunkers and NOT intimidated by the size of machine. 2 I can think of is On Old lion with 30" bed and beautiful TOS with over 40' bed. I have shafted up to 12" diam x 40' .. Used to load some steel with cranes, loaded a lot of work myself with forklifts ..I know over there there it wont be a bunch of jibonies who are drunks that don't speak English .. sorry I had to work w/ some bad news polishers/ shop hands that would go out to lunch come back bombed and then try to help you with forklift crane ..NO THANKS!!!!!
I learned real quick how to set up Jobs myself ... Most likely ill be a lathe hand but will see ... adventures ahead :adore:

Well good luck Kenny. Hope it works out well for you.

Congrats! BTW I believe the picture you posted above "Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Estab. 1800" is the one up here in Kittery Maine although it is named for the nearby Portsmouth NH

Congrats.

I have experience in a shipyard and, to be honest, it wasn't what I thought it would be. I hope you have a different experience.

I got low balled for pay, I was brought in at the same rate they were paying 19 y/o with no experience, they were painters and I was a ship fitter. How much they paying you?

Where I was there was a definite wall between the shipyard workers, supervisory staff and engineering. Man, do I have stories about that.

How long between moving up "steps", pay grades? For me I would have been 62 before I hit 1st class. I was doing the SAME work as the first class fitters but I was miles below them in pay grade. I was working alone where I was told it would be a MINIMUM of 1 year before they would consider me 'trained' enough to do so. This was 2 months after stepping foot in the shipyard.

Just go in with BOTH eyes open.

Congrats.

I have experience in a shipyard and, to be honest, it wasn't what I thought it would be. I hope you have a different experience.

I got low balled for pay, I was brought in at the same rate they were paying 19 y/o with no experience, they were painters and I was a ship fitter. How much they paying you?

Where I was there was a definite wall between the shipyard workers, supervisory staff and engineering. Man, do I have stories about that.

How long between moving up "steps", pay grades? For me I would have been 62 before I hit 1st class. I was doing the SAME work as the first class fitters but I was miles below them in pay grade. I was working alone where I was told it would be a MINIMUM of 1 year before they would consider me 'trained' enough to do so. This was 2 months after stepping foot in the shipyard.

Just go in with BOTH eyes open.
Tommy D sorry for your experience any and every job has its ups and downs . I have had many experiences hardships promises ect in Co Jobs I have worked for as im 49 years old worked over 40 years of my life. Yess 40 years worked at age 8-10 yo full time as I grew up in a business . anyways what im saying is this is not my firsts rodeo .Im fully aware of Job status pay raise how to be promoted and EXACT POSITION and pay scale.
You can look it up its WG 3414-10 its sale may be lil different depending on area of country .
however not sure if you understand this position is DIRECT HIRE BY US GOVERMENT .
thanks all for the best wishes .. they are processing 1500 new hires so next step may be a few weeks till im contacted thanks again
Kenny V

Back