Make A Move ? Machinist Opportunity Naval Ship Yard

Kenny, it looks like you've solved a problem many of us face. I was fortunate to retire just as the recession (in machine work) hit. Folks I worked with are wanting more and aren't getting it. The company's booming but CNC has taken over hand operated production, No skills needed any more. The machines can bore a 30" cylinder and hit it on the money every time. A six throw crankshaft with 6" pins just requires loading the forging in the machine and loading the right program.

Kenny, I too am stuck in NJ but I am also a federal govt employee. I work for the USCG as a marine machinist and I can tell you that working for the govt can be a pretty good gig. Lots of paid holidays off, paid vacation, flex work hours, and good benefits.

Don't even think twice about it and don't look back because there is nothing you will miss in NJ. The only downside is that the rush hour traffic in the Tidewater area of Virginia can be a royal pain. Good luck.

looks better everyday the more see what I can exchange this job house and life for.

WHY STAY IN NJ HIGH TAXES? FINANCIAL BURDEN... WOW!!! I CAN DIG IT NOT BAD PRICE NO MORGAGE ..smile emoticon .. A GARRAGE FOR A NICE WORK SHOP 15 MIN FROM WORK smile emoticon WHAT BTTER PLACE TO RETIRE? biggrin.gif
http://www.colvinre.com/viewallimages/ml...d/1530464/

WoW great bang for your buck ....Brandy New construction... can buy outright ..can u live in this house?
http://www.homefinder.com/VA/Portsmouth/9-Farragut-St-125976094d
virginia-beach-sunrise-01_0.jpg SHIP_SSN-778_USS_New_Hampshire_At_Portsmouth_Naval_Shipyard_lg.jpg

Nice back yard for shop expansion. Might be a little tough getting to the back yard from the front.

Dang Kenny, pushing 50 and a possible, somewhat, worry free job? I would jump on it, both feet and bare-footed.
Make sure it isn't tied into some strange one-off contract as I did once on what was an ordnance project.
Sounds super.
Loyalty and longevity are in rare supply these days, if you've got a gut feeling about the current place and environment, then go with what your gut tells you.

Yup thanks ..I didn't exspect to go through what I did last few years .. did not understand why , now I am thanfull it pushed me to look else where and think about future.. lets juts hope and pray it will all pan out...... Btw was just told last night from an ole co worker that went with a buyout we recently sold .. they are selling another division . looks like perfect timing ..the cow is getting milked and the ships goin down...

Hey Guys
Very “Excited” n proud to report that This AM Opened my e mail and guess what ? “Yup!!!!! It was there an e mail from

USA STAFFING OFFICE ,
DEPT US Government
Portsmouth Va Naval Ship Yard

It was my my confirmation email …. opened up saying

Dear KENNETH VACCARO:
Congratulations! You have been tentatively selected for the position of Machinist, WG-3414-10 step 01 with the Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY). This position is located in Portsmouth, VA

than went on with a list of directions and paper work..lol... spent the morning filling /reading

PRE-EMPLOYMENT/ ENTRANCE ON DUTY FORMS

SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS:

BASE ACCESS INSTRUCTIONS

Next step Monday morn I will to set up appointment to to visit the NNSY Security Office than next step report for Physical

Bottom line I think Hope pray that will be about it looking at a Jan 2016 start Date

thanks so much Guys for ALL the encouragement on this forum . :fat:
Originally I came here in a mid life crises w/ dead end job looking for ideas to fill a hobby and re invent myself . In the next months following I may Not have many new ideas and share projects , however once im moved and settled I know Ill be an active contribute on this forum.

Thanks again Guys for all your support

Kind regards

Kenny V

Kenny great news and I truly hope you pass all the the requirements coming up.

Even if you aren't making chips you can still keep us updated on how you are making out with your new career.

Wishing you all the best.

David

Congratulations Kenny. Best of luck to you.:encourage:

Congrats! I know a few folks that transferred from Alameda to Norfolk. They said they liked the move. But, maybe not all the rain Norfolk gets. But then, some people do not like California’s earth quakes. Mother nature doesn’t make it easy…Good Luck at your new job…Dave.

Back