Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Alphawolf, Thanks for the encouragement! Good to know that drawings are available as well. Will the book go into details such as what materials to use?

The DeHaas book is an excellent resource but it doesn't mention grades of metal.. For a .22 you can use any material that strikes your fancy from aluminum to stainless to carbon steels.. I like to use 8620 and then case harden it. But for low pressure guns like .22 I will use any appropriately thick piece of low carbon steel.. Test unknown steel -Heat to orange and quench in water and if it doesn't get hard its probably suitable for case hardening....Nice thing about casehardening is that it leaves the center soft and tough and will stretch rather than fracture .Foremost objective is to build a safe firearm.

I looked around a bit for 8620, found only "rounds" at both McMaster and Online Metals. Online Metals offers it in both "hot rolled" and "cold finish", is one prefferable to the other?
Do you know of a better source for 8620?

I looked around a bit for 8620, found only "rounds" at both McMaster and Online Metals. Online Metals offers it in both "hot rolled" and "cold finish", is one prefferable to the other?
Do you know of a better source for 8620?

LJP Hot rolled or cold rolled is fine. Whatever you can find in right size and seems to be good price. I sent you a PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice build, looks like a barrel of fun.

genec Home built .22s are huge heaps of fun. I have built several and have a few more I work on from time to time.. I like that can build some interesting firearm and then play with it for cheap shooting...Well that presumes you can find .22 ammo. Not as easy right now as it used to be. Lets all insist LJP builds the rifle:)) and shows it here.

finished mold.jpgSuccess.jpg Thanks learner, all it takes is time..Amazing how long it takes to make anything from metal. Here is two cavity bullet mold I made couple weeks ago. Cut the cavities using 4 jaw in lathe. It is my first ever home made bullet mold. This for my home built.45 Colt chambered Lowwall . Needed a deep grease groove bullet to use in front of black powder. I fired 5 quick shots at 100 yards off the bench and got a 1 3/4 inch group. Expect it may do better when I get time to work up the load.

Alphawolf,

That is some beautiful work! Just amazing.

finished mold.jpg Success.jpg

That is just neat! I hope to be as proficient with my tools some day. Thanks for sharing it.

Back