Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Credit where its due alphawolf, to persevere on a project where there is little information, few examples to reverse engineer, takes some doing. What single shot rifle would you say would be the easiest to attempt for a first time rifle builder ?

Credit where its due alphawolf, to persevere on a project where there is little information, few examples to reverse engineer, takes some doing. What single shot rifle would you say would be the easiest to attempt for a first time rifle builder ?

AHHah!! An intelligent question. Thank you very much bonny...The easiest rifle to build I believe would be a Stevens Sideplate . Having the side open for fitting hammer to trigger and lever to breech block linkage would make this highly desireable rifle a very straightforward build. You can find a scale sideview drawing online and work from there ..Be a great .22 LR .22 magnum or .17 Hm2 chambered rifle.. Green mountain has suitable .22 and .17 barrel blanks for 40 bucks.. Those are 21 inchs long , 24 inch would be nicer looking but somewhat more expensive at 80 dollars.....but a guy could build the whole gun in a few weeks for about a hundred bucks.. Think about that, you get to play with your machinery for a few weeks and end up with another toy to show for it.. What could be better? ........uhmmmmmm we all work at different pace and to a different standard.. If youre like Tom here building his Stevens Favorite and taking no shortcuts then it can take months to years to finish . .Basicly it is your game to play it as suits yourself. There is no right or wrong to it.

Odd somehow the pictures of my recently completed Highwall has disappeared. Here is a picture of it again.
Next scratch build project that I will start tomorrow is a 1874 Sharps in .45-90 caliber...Just love the old guns.

013.jpg

QUOTE=Alphawolf45;148603]Odd somehow the pictures of my recently completed Highwall has disappeared. Here is a picture of it again.
Next scratch build project that I will start tomorrow is a 1874 Sharps in .45-90 caliber...Just love the old guns.[/QUOTE]

That's a nice heavy 10. Adam

That's a nice heavy 10. Adam[/QUOTE]

Thankyou Adam. Of course that is what it is really all about ,playing with the machinery. Gun projects are my frequent excuse to spend time in my shop.. I have just as much fun working over an antique engine or repairing my old mower. I have big shop full of machinery but its all old, worn, wore out or broken- perfect place to spend my time in retirement:))

While I share the enthusiasm for working metal with the majority here , I observe that there are not a lot of readers of the gunsmithing threads nor many replies. Thats perfectly okay, just means there isnt much incentive for guys to show gunsmithing projects they are doing...
I love the projects you guys show, but my sense of self preservation tells me that is something I am not ready to attempt at my entry level skill. Eventually I hope to learn enough to feel safe making a long gun, but the world is probably better off if I leave explosive and containment alone till I learn a bit more. Please keep the pics of the projects coming though, I really appreciate a well made device of any kind and a rifle especially if it is a shooter as well. All of my rifles and pistols get used, there are no trophy case queens in my collection. If it don't shoot good it's gotta go...

Bob

Alphawolf,

I don't post to your threads as I don't want to lower the high signal to noise ratio as is so common on other boards, and I don't often log in to this board. Your work is a gold standard among homeshop gunsmiths.

I fully intend to duplicate your work on the Marlin 1892 as that is my favorite "for fun" .22.

I follow your projects and copy photos and text into Word do***ents, and put them into the Alphawolf subfolder in my Tools and Projects folder.

Edit: apparently, the word "Doc u ments" includes a Bad Word that must be bleeped out.

Last edited:
Alphawolf,

I fully intend to duplicate your work on the Marlin 1892 as that is my favorite "for fun" .22.

Elwood_Blues I sure appreciate the compliments and really hope to see your Marlin 1892 come together. Back years ago when I first come online I got into a Yahoo gunsmithing group that was populated by a mess of fellows that constantly tried to discourage folks from doing any of their own work.. I am much the opposite in that I am having a heap of fun and want to see others doing these sorts of projects.

Imagine my position, I built the .45-70 Highwall for BPCR silhouette shooting and getting ready to shoot my first match next Saturday.I am mighty excited about it... Of course I cast my bullets and load my own cartridges. Have made a number of little incidentals for the reloading work.. Plan to make my own bullet molds.. Altogether just a lot of fun. Presently scrambling to make a new rear ladder sight for my rifle....I am finding plenty of worthy metalsworking projects in support of the shooting sports hobby.

I am getting consistent 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with iron sights off the bench using cast bullets and black powder.. Very likely a man who can really shoot well could make smaller groups with my rifle.. But I do believe that I built a good rifle ;-).

Alphawolf

I have read this from start to finish and also on HGS forum, I read a lot of post and don't replay to most.

I do mess with guns in my home shop but I'm not up to the quality of your work, And even through I do have a complete shop I'm not as good as most of the guys here.

Paul

Alphawolf

I have read this from start to finish and also on HGS forum, I read a lot of post and don't replay to most.

I do mess with guns in my home shop but I'm not up to the quality of your work, And even through I do have a complete shop I'm not as good as most of the guys here.

Paul

Paul I see you on several groups. This is first time I noticed your list of machines at the bottom of your post. Yeup, you certainly got the tools to do anything you want.. And hey, I am not as good a machinist as a lot of these guys here either ;-) .. But those things that are a challenge are the most satisfying when you figure it out and get it done...I had a full machineshop for years before I ever fooled with a gun but these gun projects have made me a better machinist...I have learned to TIG weld in just the last few years and finally learned to use a CAD program.

Back