Micrometers For The Beginner?

First of all let me say that if you don't abuse your micrometers they're likely to last you a lifetime. I still have the original set I bought in the 1980's and they're as accurate today as when they were new. That being said I would buy for the level of quality you need, not necessarily by the brand name. I have over two dozen micrometers in the shop ranging in size from 1" to 8". All but the first set were purchased used. All have been checked for accuracy over the years, and so far even the oldest ones are dead on. Given that they will in all likelihood outlast you I would look at them as a one time purchase and spend the money necessary to get the quality you want.

If you're looking for less expensive yet highly accurate ones I would consider used Central Tools brand. They were originally targeted to the automotive machine shops rather than the machining industry. They are a lesser known brand that doesn't command the high prices of Starrett or Mitutoyo. I've had a set for nearly 20 years that goes from 1" t 6" . I have Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, Mitutoyo, Fowler, and Central tool brands in the collection. They are all equally accurate, and all function smoothly. I have both those with the ratchet spindle and those without. Again they all work equally well. My first set was without the ratchet spindle so I'm more than comfortable with the feel necessary to get accurate measurements. In most cases when I do use those with the ratchet I don't bother with using it.

If at all possible I would try a few out. They all have a slightly different feel, and some people prefer one brand over another for that reason alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your looking for a decent set that has tenths but have a low budget, try the phase II set from 1" - 3". I have a set of those and they have been very accurate through the years. They have a friction thimble to help getting a good reading. They also have carbide tips.

Etalon and Tesa mics are the best made, swiss made, if it were my money and a hobbiest, I would get a mitutoyo or brown and sharpe, millers falls is also a great brand, they don't make em anymore but that's my go to 1 inch, I have a starrett set, but they aren't tenth reading, always get tenth reading mics, maybe one day youll have a surface grinder and can really use it, but they are nice to have over the thou readings. starrett makes a really nice digit mic, I have one of them, for quick readings, its the rotary digits type, not electronic. you can get a mitutoyo digital for around 100 bucks, I also would look for them to have a friction thimble or ratchet, my brown and sharpe depth mic set is a friction thimble, but I find that I like to feel for depth by hand rather than use the friction thimble..

one more thing, check your local pawn shops, I found two mitutoyo test indicators for 20 bucks each, .0005 reading with the long points, I was like are you kidding me, 20 bucks each!! the one is new style, the other is older, new one goes for around 200 bucks

As a hobbyist buy whatever works for you.
I may use the same tool to measure 100 0r more parts per day so it is well worth the money for carbide faces and a very well marked micrometer body. The marking quality is what I inspect first as reading the tools all day long is much easier with crisp, clean lines and coloring, Mitutoyo and Brown and Sharpe do an excellent job of this. I have one Central Tool ball mic that has extremely crude marking when seen next to a Mit or B&S tool. It works however.
A mentioned above a very well made tool will probably outlive you, spend accordingly.

I endeavor not to buy anything that comes in a red box if possible, however I do have a fair amount of them.

I mainly use older Starret micrometers. I wouldn't buy one new, cost and all, but I do find them nice.

The nicest micrometer I've ever used was a Mitutoyo digital. Readout to .00005" I believe and silky sooth action.

I recently bought a set of new Starrett mic's, 0-1, 1-2 and 2-3 off ebay for less than $100. When I got them all were in new in the box condition and after cleaning and oiling were as smooth as new. Apparently new "old stock" from somewhere, but a good buy. The 0-1 and 1-2 have the Vernier .ooo1 scale the 2-3 does not. There are good buys out there if you are not in a hurry.

Be careful of buying supposed precision tools online. Unless the return policy is clear. Not all sellers are reputable. Not all sellers know what they are selling.
Consider posting a WTB add here at HM. Likely somebody has some extras they'd get you started with.
Also more likely that you are going to get full disclosure.

As for me: I've moved away from the electronics.

Daryl
MN

I have a variety of mics, some older starret, mitutoyo, brown&sharp and I have some new cheap chinese made ones. I like the older ones but I will buy the cheap ones as needed.

I have a set of digital Fowler and digital Mitutoyo 0 - 3" mics. I prefer the tumbler style digital of the electronic; don't have to fiddle with batteries. On the down side compared to electronic, I can't set zero anywhere and measure relative numbers. Also have a couple of electronic digital Mitutoyo 0-1" mics that were under $20 off eBay. Lucked out and got decent ones. Frankly, on the lathe/mill I usually go with a 4" or 6" dial type vernier caliper. I have digital 4", 6" and 8" calipers, but use a 6" Mitutoyo dial type 90% of the time. Go to the mics on the mill when checked the thickness of stock over a caliper because of the lower height of the tool. Don't have to move the work as far from the spindle to measure "Z" with the mics.

Bruce

Back