Micrometers For The Beginner?

For those weary about electronic micrometers, they still have the usual vernier scales on them for when the batteries die.

For those weary about electronic micrometers, they still have the usual vernier scales on them for when the batteries die.

And the batteries are usually easily replaceable. However, if you haven't learned how to read and understand the vernier it doesn't always work out well.
On the other hand seeing the vernier can be a problem.

Daryl
MN

Don't buy a brand new, new style etalon, the vernier is impossible to decode lol, it's not like the standard vernier

Save up to 60% off on SPI micrometers and calipers and 40% on 2000 SPI items at MSC. I have purchased a complete SPI set from MSC, both vernier and digital. They have impressed me with the quality. I purchased two Fowlers and gave them away. You can get a decent set for a little money with the 60% off code. I also have Mitutoyo and love them. Not as expensive as Starrett but as good. Many times of the year MSC and Enco have 20% to 40% off sales and that is when I purchase my micrometers and other measuring tools. I like that most orders qualify for next day delivery free upgrade. The shipping is not free, but you pay UPS ground for overnight delivery at no additional cost. Just make sure to check the free overnight or 2 day upgrade boxes.

Offer Valid 3/29/16 - 4/30/16. Enter code SPI2016 in the promotional code box in the Shopping Cart when ordering online or mention the code when ordering via phone at 1-800-645-7270 to receive product discount. Promotional price will be reflected at Checkout.

*Certain exclusions apply. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. Discount will be taken off of current catalog price. If an item has a web price and a promotion code is applied, MSC will automatically provide you the lowest of that price and the discounted price. Items are discounted up to the discount shown or to the maximum extent possible for a particular manufacturer. Offer ends at 11:30pm EST.

My shop calipers say China on them they have been thru h*#ll for 10 years and still can get me to .0005 consistently ,my brown an sharp calipers and mitutoyo mic's stay in the box
As much as I hate to admit it the steel China calipers work good , but they are fairly old .
If I could find another pair like those ied get two.:encourage:

As has been said, there are good buys on eBay if you are patient. I just picked up a B&S depth gauge for $30 shipped. It dates to the 1930s or 1940s I think. It is beautiful - not a scratch or bit of rust anywhere and very smooth operation. I think it must have been unused for 80 years. I'm almost afraid to use it. I feel like it should be in a museum.

i bought some starrett outside calipers on the bay for around 15 bucks, i think a 4 inch, 2 inch, and a set of spring dividers, with a patent date on them of like 1885, IIRC. i ran some steel wool on them, very light pitting in some areas but they are beautiful, i use them often

Thanks for all the replys,lots of good information.It was suggested that I look for .0001 micrometers which for me I think is pretty technical but its what I am going to shoot for.Dang your right the bay is full of micrometers.------------------kroll

the tool isnt as important as the care and skill of the operator. I have some very good tools but if I get in a hurry and measure "hot stock" in the lathe then cut to a final number or miss read the tool, its my fault if it isnt a good fit! even the cheap HF stuff is good enough in the skilled hands.
The best tool I use is the DRO i've installed on my mill and lathe, there is something about all those numbers after the decimal point to make you "tighten up your measuring skills
use what you have and learn to use it properly

Back