Mill quill handles

Chazz I like your “steering wheel” knob (AKA Brodie Knob) idea.
I had one on my bicycle when I was a kid. It had a naked lady on it.
I think I got it at Pep Boys.

I vote for 3 balls, but not brass, they would be too cold in chilly weather.
Good point, as they might fall off when it gets cold :)

Last edited:
I had a three-handle arrangement on my mill until I ran the table up into it (focused on touching off the work, didn't even notice that I mangled a handle). I went back to one...

GsT

Chazz I like your “steering wheel” knob (AKA Brodie Knob) idea.
I had one on my bicycle when I was a kid. It had a naked lady on it.
I think I got it at Pep Boys.
I knew a guy back in the early 70's that had a bolt-on one on his Rambler's steering wheel; they used to be very popular before power steering.

Interesting. Can you post a link to the wheel source?
I got mine from Amazon (was only $17 then!), but they are also available on eBay: nothing special about them. I modified the mounting on the mill, added a bolt circle & cover plate to the hand wheel hub and changed the skinny knob to the egg-shaped one.

Z-Axis Wheel Tapping Holes.jpg
Drilled the hand wheel hub & mount (between the hub and fixture plate) and tapped the holes in the mount in one set-up (made it easier the hold the hand wheel and insured that everything lined up). I purchased a replacement mount from LMS (they call it a "pivot") so I could use the mill to make the modifications.

LMS 3990 - SX2LF Pivot.jpg

I got mine from Amazon (was only $17 then!), but they are also available on eBay: nothing special about them. I modified the mounting on the mill, added a bolt circle & cover plate to the hand wheel hub and changed the skinny knob to the egg-shaped one.

View attachment 474091
Drilled the hand wheel hub & mount (between the hub and fixture plate) and tapped the holes in the mount in one set-up (made it easier the hold the hand wheel and insured that everything lined up). I purchased a replacement mount from LMS (they call it a "pivot") so I could use the mill to make the modifications.

View attachment 474092
I’ve seen those. Never got any further than wanting one. The three arms will go a long way towards making me happy.
Plus, I didn’t have to buy anything!!

Back