[How-To] Need a Backgear for a HERLESS, Shun Shin SSB-15BS Metal Lathe made in Taiwan,

racprops

Registered
Registered
As in title looking for a new or good used backgear for my model shop lathe.

Sadly working on a bad day I let the 4 jaw chuck during a complex job hit the carriage, this took out a number of teeth on the small end of the backgear which I using for the low speed of a off center part.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    538.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Make a new Gear.jpg
    Make a new Gear.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7392.JPG
    IMG_7392.JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 41
One option would be to braze over the broken area and cut new teeth, either by hand or with a milling machine and indexer
You might also be able to source a new helical gear from a company like Boston gear or Martin gear and machine it to fit
after turning off all the old teeth
Hard to say but a replacement might be available from Grizzly for a similar-sized machine- it's a gamble
Parts availability can be a real problem for these old imports- very little standardization

Thanks, I have tried what you suggested and had no luck...

Will look into Grizzly...found these Taiwan lathes all over the place under hundreds of name.

Rich

Parts are going to be like hens’ teeth to find.
A cadaver machine may be easier to find .

Another way would be to convert the drive motor to 3 phase and add a VFD.

I have 2 very similar machines that i have done in this manner, but for different reasons. I have a 3hp set up on 1 machine, a 2hp set up on the second machine.
Both perform flawlessly without the need for backgearing

Here's the Grizzly Listing for the G9249, (Their version of this family of lathes)

Part # 110: https://www.grizzly.com/parts/grizzly-back-gear-21-58t-2-pc-assy/p9249110 $129.05 (currently in stock)
Unfortunately this part does not have a picture. Let alone the "scale grid" background which is often helpful.

Backgears are still very handy to have, I can understand the desire to keep them if possible- I would too
I'm a backgear man, that's what I am
I also like green eggs and ham
Spam

Parts are going to be like hens’ teeth to find.
A cadaver machine may be easier to find .

Another way would be to convert the drive motor to 3 phase and add a VFD.

I have 2 very similar machines that i have done in this manner, but for different reasons. I have a 3hp set up on 1 machine, a 2hp set up on the second machine.
Both perform flawlessly without the need for backgearing
This!

Better power, less noise and a upgraded user experience all around.

Plus, it’s simple to purchase and install.

Backgears are still very handy to have, I can understand the desire to keep them if possible- I would too
I'm a backgear man, that's what I am
I also like green eggs and ham
Spam
You lost me at spam, but why not get both?

You could thread at 3rpm and have your threaded parts look machine made.

Thanks DATS 10 and others...ONE THE Here's the Grizzly Listing for the G9249, (Their version of this family of lathes) https://www.grizzly.com/parts/grizzly-back-gear-21-58t-2-pc-assy/p9249110 $129.05 has the wrong tooth count my back gear is a 22 X 51 counts.

How cheap can I do the 3 Phaser motor on only 230 2 phase??

OR is someone here good enough to do this repair??:

Rich

Attachments

• How to repair my back gear.jpg
    How to repair my back gear.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Back gear repair.jpg
    Back gear repair.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 7
The back gear also makes for a nice spindle lock if that lathe does not have the cam lock design and has the threaded spindle

Not sure what is meant by 2 phase 230 VAC is generally termed split phase by center tapping the transformer.

Back