[How-To] Need a Backgear for a HERLESS, Shun Shin SSB-15BS Metal Lathe made in Taiwan,

Sorry for my atrocious grammar- should have put a slash between ham and Spam

The back gear also makes for a nice spindle lock if that lathe does not have the cam lock design and has the threaded spindle

Not sure what is meant by 2 phase 230 VAC is generally termed split phase by center tapping the transformer.
I USED to do that myself, now I worry I might have done so damage before hitting the carriage.

Rich

I USED to do that myself, now I worry I might have done so damage before hitting the carriage.

Rich
Ah so what method do you use to remove the chuck or faceplate now? I don't want to put a pipe wrench on the spindle tube where a spider may go eventually

Looking at the pics of the gears they do seem to have some wear. Guess if I break mine I will try and use the indexer, braze, and then re cut the missing teeth.

After thinking about it the 2 bearing preload lock nuts could be used with a hook style wrench, (another thing) I need to buy or make.

Last edited:
Well as I do not have any gears to drive the carriage, I will just use a big pipe wrench to hold the spindle.

My set up had a two directional motor with a speed control so as I (Like nearly everyone have NEVER gut gears) works great for all my model and odd thing jobs I do. Pictures of drive motor and controller.

OH I chewed them off right good and proper, ran carriage right into chuck.

Rich

Well as I do not have any gears to drive the carriage, I will just use a big pipe wrench to hold the spindle.

My set up had a two directional motor with a speed control so as I (Like nearly everyone have NEVER gut gears) works great for all my model and odd thing jobs I do. Pictures of drive motor and controller.

Rich
Ouch! Your thread has me thinking to try to be ever vigilant.
I did screw up and turned on the spindle once before I unlocked it, Luckily it spun the motor pulley against the belt. I don't have a tensioner on the treadmill motor yet.

Thanks DATS 10 and others...ONE THE Here's the Grizzly Listing for the G9249, (Their version of this family of lathes) https://www.grizzly.com/parts/grizzly-back-gear-21-58t-2-pc-assy/p9249110 $129.05 has the wrong tooth count my back gear is a 22 X 51 counts.

How cheap can I do the 3 Phaser motor on only 230 2 phase??

OR is someone here good enough to do this repair??:

Rich
Hey Rich,
As an estimate, you can do the 3 phase conversion for around $500 if you do some shopping on ebay
You will need to add some labor and some learning in the process

I keep hoping to find a person with one of these broken down and selling parts, a machine tool junk yard...

Rich

PS
Grizzy Part number P1003-016 MIGHT work, looking for details on that as well.

Any one got the specs on that P1003-016?

My back gear is 22Tooth 51 tooth gear count.

Hey Rich,
As an estimate, you can do the 3 phase conversion for around $500 if you do some shopping on ebay
You will need to add some labor and some learning in the process
Or much cheaper if you can find a used motor and go with a Chinese VFD. I think I did mine for about $300 with a NOS eBay motor.

It's a worthy conversion regardless.

John

Rich
I have a similar machine and don't envy your predicament. You may want to start with finding a replacement gear (Boston Gear might have one), and thinking about how to graft it onto your existing part.

I did something similar with a lathe I used to own, except it was in the carriage, not the backgear.

John

I keep hoping to find a person with one of these broken down and selling parts, a machine tool junk yard...

Rich

PS
Grizzy Part number P1003-016 MIGHT work, looking for details on that as well.

Any one got the specs on that P1003-016?

My back gear is 22Tooth 51 tooth gear count.
My lathe back gear looks like yours, but mine is mounted in front of the spindle . One of the manuals that seems similar of Grizzly's is the 4002-4003 also Enco 110- 2031 or 2032
gear C1019 "maybe' but the "hand drawing" shows a straight cut gear that is an enco number... have no idea if MSC stocks any replacement parts.

ps. I will check my gears count and see if it is a 22/ 51 my lathe was sold as a HF Central Machinery but was stamped with a TIDA number.

Back