[How-To] Need a Backgear for a HERLESS, Shun Shin SSB-15BS Metal Lathe made in Taiwan,

I keep hoping to find a person with one of these broken down and selling parts, a machine tool junk yard...

Rich

PS
Grizzy Part number P1003-016 MIGHT work, looking for details on that as well.

Any one got the specs on that P1003-016?

My back gear is 22Tooth 51 tooth gear count.
mine was close but the big gear had "edit" 6 more teeth. a 58-22

Last edited:
Seems there just is no finding a NOS or old used back gear...and I have had almost no luck finding a small gear that could be grafted onto my back gear...

Seems either making that add on gear or welding up the broken gear and machining it back is what is left.

SO any one here able and willing to do that recreate/remake of this gear repair??

Rich

Seems there just is no finding a NOS or old used back gear...and I have had almost no luck finding a small gear that could be grafted onto my back gear...

Seems either making that add on gear or welding up the broken gear and machining it back is what is left.

SO any one here able and willing to do that recreate/remake of this gear repair??

Rich
Boston gear will have your gear. Brazing in this situation might work for a while, but it is going to wear fast and is likely to break off under load.

How many hp is your motor?

RaisedByWolves

"Boston gear will have your gear. Brazing in this situation might work for a while, but it is going to wear fast and is likely to break off under load."

I worry about that as well.

"How many hp is your motor?"

I don't know, it is a 230V motor and came with the lathe, but the size I guess 2 to 3 HP.

Rich

Last edited:
OK here is my current problem, how to describe the angle of the Helical Cut, I have everything else.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 6
Here is what I need:

Attachments

• Back gear tooth count replacement gear set RAC.jpg
    Back gear tooth count replacement gear set RAC.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks, I had seen I needed more correct way to name my part.

So it is a 22 tooth left handed 14.5 to 15 degree pressure angle Helical Cut gear, by sizes.

Now to find one.

Rich

RaisedByWolves

Boston Gear was NO help, they ONLY make American INCH gears the imported machines are metric.​

PS Bold was not my selection...

Rich

Back