[Newbie] Need Help getting my ATW Lathe going, Oil and Electrical

I had a 20" Lodge & Shipley with a 10 HP motor that I ran off of a static phase converter that I built. Also had a 90 foot 6 ga extension cord that ran from the meter box directly to the lathe, too! Should not be a problem running your ATW lathe off of one. Now, you making me drool!!!

Ken, want to really drool? I got the lathe in a trade, I am installing a 5.3L into an s10 pickup for the kid I got the machine from. Pretty sure it will be ordering a pair of adapter motor mounts and some elbow grease. There might be more with getting fuel and stuff, but he doesn't want AC so it should be a walk in the park. He was asking $2500, got him down to $1900 and then we started talking trades when he saw what I build and the quality level I am at he asked about installing an engine.....

I'll upload some photos later when I have time to resize them. I'm getting close to plugging her in and seeing her turn for the first time!

KEN, you have a 14" ROCKWELL?!? I never see or hear of anyone else having my first love! She broke my arm on Christmas Eve, never bump the power switch with a tape measure on your belt when you reach for the chuck key you dropped.. I had about 24" of a 30" of a 3/4" solid shaft sticking out loose. For a split second all was well as I realized what I did, then it hit me and it was all I had to get the machine off before I went to the floor. A knot on my head and a very very hurt arm. I'm not sure how long I was on the floor, but I first looked over the machine for damage then I went for help. I like working in the early morning, you can often find me in my shop at 3 am, this was at 7 and I wasn't together enough to use a phone so I was walking to the house for help.

Rockwell lathe.jpg

Broken Arm.jpg

OUCH! No "like" for this one :(

KEN, you have a 14" ROCKWELL?!? I never see or hear of anyone else having my first love! ...........................................
Boy, Do I Have A Deal For You!!!

I'm pretty sure mine came out of either a high school or university school shop. The headstock on mine had been altered so you could not use the back gear. Once I starting tearing into it, what a mess! Some how of another, it got shoved into back gear or direct gear without disconnecting the jaw clutch in the headstock and boom! I almost have all of the parts rebuilt or repaired to put the headstock back together. I can't figure why the bedways are in nice shape, but when I uncover the cross slide ways, it's worse than a wash board! Another rebuild of the carriage. It'll be a nice lathe when I get done. Repairing this old iron is getting old!

That is sad, a Rockwell Lathe is a machine of beauty. Very easy to learn on and very easy to do almost anything you'd want. Extremely dependable and hard to mistreat, I can't imagine how they treated her, sounds like something from my nightmares... I have an issue on mine with the Reeves Drive. Had to have the pulley rebuilt (when it failed, worn and loose) with a bushing and now it is very hard (almost impossible) to adjust speeds. At that point, I didn't have a second lathe to repair the Rockwell with. On the Yahoo Rockwell group, there is a guy who is known for being a parts source. If you are having issues locating parts that are not replaceable you might look him up, DICK TRIEMSTRA. They posted his phone number if you need it, I can private message it. I wouldn't want strangers posting my phone number all over the internet so... Where abouts is Victoria, Texas Ken? We are headed to Port Aransas on Sunday after some time in Tyler with my wifes Grandma.

Correction, Dick Triemestra apparently has died. You can still do business with I'm guessing his biz partner @ Bridgeman Machinery Sales, not that I can find anything more than they are or were in Detroit.

That is sad, a Rockwell Lathe is a machine of beauty. Very easy to learn on and very easy to do almost anything you'd want. Extremely dependable and hard to mistreat, I can't imagine how they treated her, sounds like something from my nightmares... I have an issue on mine with the Reeves Drive. Had to have the pulley rebuilt (when it failed, worn and loose) with a bushing and now it is very hard (almost impossible) to adjust speeds. At that point, I didn't have a second lathe to repair the Rockwell with. On the Yahoo Rockwell group, there is a guy who is known for being a parts source. If you are having issues locating parts that are not replaceable you might look him up, DICK TRIEMSTRA. They posted his phone number if you need it, I can private message it. I wouldn't want strangers posting my phone number all over the internet so... Where abouts is Victoria, Texas Ken? We are headed to Port Aransas on Sunday after some time in Tyler with my wifes Grandma.
You'll probably pass around the edge of Victoria on your way to Port Aransas if your coming down thru or around Houston. Yeah, Victoria is half way between Houston and Corpus Christi on highway 59. So far, I'm good on parts. Most I have replaced were easily found on eBay, belts, bearings, etc. I'm in the process of rebuilding the jaw clutch mechanism in the headstock, and getting it so you can use the back gear again. What a mess! So far, no damaged gears have been found and I'm glad. The cross feed screw will have to be replaced, it has a spline cut on one end for the telescopic taper attachment. Going to be fun reproducing that spline. I may cheat and splice the spline to the new screw! Functionally, I had the lathe running before I tore into it, and everything was functioning fine except for no back gear!

Oh, I forgot to mention, when I finish rebuilding this lathe, I will be posting drawings of all of the parts that I made or modified in the Rockwell lathe group over on Yahoo, so others can have something to look at and get made as needed. I also have some NOS parts to the apron I plan on drawing up to put with everything else I post over there too. Ken

Goodness, bad info, Mr Triemestra is alive, some other guy bit the dust and the original poster was confused...

Ken what condition is your Reeves Drive? SCRATCH the question... I think I have figured this out, I reread the manual for the 71 model, slightly different and I saw what I think is the answer. When the electric motor went out I bet the guy tightened the belt on the lower half of the Reeves Drive too much, says in the manual it will bind the system up...

Last edited:
Back