[Newbie] Need Help getting my ATW Lathe going, Oil and Electrical

Ken what condition is your Reeves Drive? SCRATCH the question... I think I have figured this out, I reread the manual for the 71 model, slightly different and I saw what I think is the answer. When the electric motor went out I bet the guy tightened the belt on the lower half of the Reeves Drive too much, says in the manual it will bind the system up...
Yeah, that's about the only thing that was not worn out on my lathe, the Reeves drive. The belts were bad, have replaced them. That is one of the things that was odd, One belt length matches to what is posted on the Rockwell lathe website and the other I had to get a totally different size! Anyways that part of it is good now. My 14" lathe is the newer one with clutch/brake addition along with the lever on the front to change the speed instead of a handwheel. Apparently there are some differences between the old and newer design. Pulled the taper attachment tonight to get the cross slide off. Never in my life run across such an arrangement on a lathe!

Ken, we are going to stop over in Houston tonight and I'm considering hitting the trader flea market tomorrow morning to see what's there as far as machinist things. Ever been? Waste of time?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ken, we are going to stop over in Houston tonight and I'm considering hitting the trader flea market tomorrow morning to see what's there as far as machinist things. Ever been? Waste of time?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
"Traders Village" Never been there. Been by it many times years back. Used to work about 2 miles from there. Old family friend has a Honing/Trepanning shop a stones throw from there. I don't know about our kind of stuff, I'm sure someone there has a booth setup with things. Probably hit any pawn shop in the area and get what you want, too. Have fun!

I have a 16 by 54 pace maker. I have manuals if you need copies.
Scruffy

Scruffy, I think I have a manual. I spent quite a bit of time searching the internet and all forums and free manual archives. The machine is from 1953 and I printed Bulletin no 17, which covers several models. If you have something more in depth, that would be appreciated. Does yours have the large box of electronics on the back side of the headstock?

Hey Guys, if those manuals are PDFs and are not already available on this sites download section, then you could really do someone else a favour by uploading them here.
-brino

Brino- I was trying to figure out how to share and asked in a message, edited the message and left the question out. While on vacation, I noticed the add download button but was 800 miles from my desk. Last week and this week have been nuts, 3 am to 7 pm work day, just enough time to shower sleep, repeat, and sometimes remember to eat. I'm going to try and get the manuals uploaded for my Rockwell 14" and ATW 16" Pacemaker lathes, Buffalo Forge No.22 drill press, Cincinnati Press brake, and maybe a few more that I didn't see on here. Would a Jaws 5 Iron worker manual be of any use to hobbyists? I think the rest of my equipment is new enough that all the manuals are available for free from the manufacturers. I appreciate this forum and all of the kind members I have spoken with, would love to share and give back where I can. I'll see what I can do in the next few days. You might nag me if you notice I miss something!

Brino I need help, Tried to create a category for ATW machines to put the files in and not sure what I did.... I'm confused and out of time, will try again later...

Would a Jaws 5 Iron worker manual be of any use to hobbyists?

I bet it would! Likely there are many similarities between vendors, and the manual would apply to other makes too.

Brino I need help, Tried to create a category for ATW machines to put the files in and not sure what I did.... I'm confused and out of time, will try again later...

Hi @JeffEck, Thanks for trying, but please do putting eating above this task!
I have never created a new category, in fact I bet you'd need an "admin" to do it. There are however some "miscellaneous" categories or such that they could fit in until there's enough interest or manuals for the admins to create a new category. As long as the title and tags are populated with useful search terms, it can be found with a search.

Worst case, I volunteer to help. You could PM the manuals to me and I'll upload them, giving you credit in the details section.

Now, go grab a sammich!

-brino

Back