Need Help! Starrett 12" Machinist Level Problem

If I were to have it ,I'd slowly stone it to level and square. The ding won't hurt anything if you take the high spots off. Nice level even with the ding , good for haggling for a lower price tho.

The seller definitely did not pack the level very good. I've had several eBay buys over the years, the seller would leave the item in its box. No padding of the piece in the box. Seller thinks the box is capable of handling the goods in place for a 2,000 mile or even a 10 mile ride in a mail truck. Yeah, right!

The seller definitely did not pack the level very good. I've had several eBay buys over the years, the seller would leave the item in its box. No padding of the piece in the box. Seller thinks the box is capable of handling the goods in place for a 2,000 mile or even a 10 mile ride in a mail truck. Yeah, right!

Ken you are correct. I went back and checked the packaging. The box was dented on the end that the level was damaged on. The level box was also torn at that end. The seller did not even wrap the level it was sitting on top of the paper in a large flat box with no padding. It was sliding around loose. I am going to keep it as the price was right and it is in great shape otherwise

Yeah, I've done the same thing, repair it and not look back. I have notified the seller of damages in the past and sometimes they would refund me some or all my money, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
BTW- nice level! I have my dad's 6" level he had in his tool collection.

Yeah, I've done the same thing, repair it and not look back. I have notified the seller of damages in the past and sometimes they would refund me some or all my money, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

This guy said return it for refund, but no offer of discount. I left neutral feedback and mentioned poor packaging. It's still a nice level. I now have a 6" and 12" which shout take care of my leveling needs. Now to make some nice wooden boxes for them!

Fixing the ding wouldn't bother me but before I did anything I would put a 123 block on my lathe bed and put the level on it. This will keep the ding clear. Swap ends and check for accuracy.

Fixing the ding wouldn't bother me but before I did anything I would put a 123 block on my lathe bed and put the level on it. This will keep the ding clear. Swap ends and check for accuracy.

Excellent advice, I had not even thought about that. Thanks!

As much as you want this level, I would start a return through Ebay. The seller hid the defect. That's deceptive.
Ebay will side with you and the seller will even have to pay for return shipping costs.

As far as satisfying your leveling needs, be advised that this style of level is graduated in .005" increments per foot per graduation; this is a starting point for roughly leveling a lathe, not sufficient for precision work; the next level is the Master Precision Level, grads are ten times finer than that, .0005" per foot. The level that you have is made more for millwright sort of work.

Back