New Cromwell S800 MK3 Lathe

damn that is a sweet looking lathe. Really novel arrangement for the carriage feed too. Nice work!

Thanks matthempuppet,
Yeah it will take a bit of getting used to - not having a half nut engagement, threading dial or a hand wheel on the carriage - but I'm looking forward to it. Not sure that I'll get much done on Sat. as I've got to cut back some snow/ice banks for friends
Michael

I decided to do the engine turning (spotting) on the cross slide and compound. The original used a .4" diameter to do the spotting, so I turned down some hard maple to .4"with a half inch shank. I only had 2 grades of valve lapping compound 400 and 180 grit so I went with the 180. Tried a few spots an a piece of scrap and it seemed to look OK, so I went on to the side of the compound - it took about half an hour. It is a bit blingy, but it would sure catch my in a showroom. So tomorrow it's on to the rest of the parts. There is a picture below.
Michael

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

I did the rest of the spotting on the cross slide and compound today. A fairly laborious process I figure that there are well onto 2,000 spots. It didn't use all that much abrasive and didn't wear the dowel down very much. Not that much of a fan of automation in the home shop - but today I did a bit of dreaming in that direction. Hope you like it, it's my first attempt but looks good to my eye.
Michael

IMG_0613.JPGIMG_0610.JPGIMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0615.JPG

Thanks Greg and Joesixpack74,
My travel plans were cancelled by lake effect snow, so it's just me and my machines home tonight. Happy New Year!
The original wipers on the carriage were neoprene and appear to be original as they are molded to fit. My concern is that there are no oil holes in the top of the carriage and if tight fitting neoprene wipers wipe it all off - what's left for lubrication? I have some 1/4" felt that I bought before our local felt mill closed, so I'm seriously considering using it for wipers. The carriage also has wipers between the front and rear ways - they wipe where the tailstock slides. There was only one of two installed when I got the machine and it was a skinny little piece of too thin felt, so I've already replaced them with felt.
Any ideas re felt vs neoprene for the remaining 4 wipers?
Michael

Im partial to neoprene wipers, they wipe the way and push chips and dirt ahead of them keeping abrasives out of the mating surfaces. The felt wipers seam to hold chips and drag them back and forth under the felt, there may not be enough pressure to do any real damage though. If the originals were neoprene I'd be inclined to stick with them, manufactures like Cromwell and Hardinge tend to know what they're doing.

Greg

Hi Greg,
I guess that you're right. The designers know more than I can ever hope to. I'll go with the original neoprene and maybe add a couple of oil holes for peace of mind. Happy New Year.
Michael
ps I would have posted pictures of the complete cross slide and compound but the transfer from my phone is screwed up again.

And a Happy New Year to you to Michael. Get that transfer working, we need pictures.
Greg

Back