NEW OLD HEAVY 10 + TOOLING +

Hi all, Got the under drive done today new bearings ,painted, motor in shop getting checked out should have it all back in tomorrow. Any one know what the gears in pic 13 are for they all have "Boston" cast into them and they are steel. Are they worth anything and what type lathe are they for. PO said they they aren't for the heavy ten and didn't know what they went to.
Thanks
Derrick
ps. still tryin to post pic of progress:noidea:

The gears may be for metric threading on your lathe or not :think1:Your lathe has the gear box so you don't need to manually change the gears train but they may swap out for metric or just be "just in case" backups. You can check with Boston Gear, on what replacements would be. I'm sure they are not cheap.
SB's go for big bucks, yours is well tooled and you got that nice SOB band saw to boot l:))

Mike
(and I like the color)

Hi all was wondering if the reverse tumbler gear studs are the same for the 10s 11s 13s . as one that came on the lathe the threads and nut were gone "Broke"and can't seem to find one that fits.
Question=are the tumbler stud's different size for the different modals or are the whole reverse tumblers different?.
the gear studs i have gotten from supplyers have been to small to press into the reverse tumbler, the broke one needs pressing in . can't find one that presses in

thanks

Early in this tread OP requested info on oil. You might try calling your local Mobil Oil dealer. DTE light or Medium should do the trick. They can cross reference oils going back decades.

nice project
michael

Couple questions
1-reverse tumbler gear stud / screw , are they the same for the 10's 13's 14's , can't seem to find one that presses in like the broke one. Don't think i should try drilling - taping for a bolt instead of the threads that aren't there
2- head stock thrust bearings , mine has only one inboard , can another one be added outboard- what would it take ? .

Got the head-stock painted , cleaned , new expander felt, the capillary oiler brass tube didn't protrude into bearing on gear end of spindle tho, dose it need to ?. everything else looked good.
Guess the gear box is next so i can install the headstock any advice on double lever gear box do's/don'ts what to lookout for ?.
Wasn't reel happy with the paint color so i had them darken it a few shades for the separate assembles "it's going to be 50 shades gray":pondering:.

Hard drive on this thing crashed last week hp fixed it but lost alot of info.
Thanks
Derrick

Yes Derrick, the capillary oil wick does need to protrude through the bearing and come in contact with the spindle. The tube should just barely protrude into the bearing but not come in contact with the spindle. One of mine was to low, I was able to pull it up with a socket head cap screw a vice grip and a hammer. Hold the bolt with the vice grip and insert it into the tube untill it is all the way through. Then move the bolt to the side until the head is outside of the tube. Tap the vice grips with a hammer until the tube is pulled up just into the bearing shell.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies , looks like I'll be pulling the spindle again to pull up tube.
the reverse tumbler has me stumped , need to find one that presses in, got one from plaza and it sliped in so i returned it with my broke one joe said he checked several against mine and could not find one with the same dimensions as my broke one.
Thanks
Derrick

Hi all , The gear box is going together today , Its cleaned,painted all parts look good.
Apron is next I'm thinking of trying to find a lever clutch instead of star knob is it worth it ?.
Had to beat out a apron top screw, going to try Allen screws instead might have to mod them tho.
Thanks
Derrick

Apron is next I'm thinking of trying to find a lever clutch instead of star knob is it worth it ?
Thanks
Derrick
I have gotten used to the star knob on mine, it really doesn't take much of a turn to get it to engage or dissengage. But if you can find a lever assembly for a price you can live with then I say why not.
Greg

Got the oil tubes pulled up a bit, head-stock reassembled , gear box done all looked good anyone know lead screw end play adj . Finding alot of differences between book and my heavy ten tho. Started in on the apron dis assembly today any "need to know things" on that . After that is the saddle cross slide & compound i'm ordering new screw brass nuts , are they different with a taper attach?. After that is done it's adjustments ,dialing it in and
CHIPS DONE i hope:phew:.
O yea the reverse tumbler gear stud screw :holdphone:
Thanks
Derrick

Back