NEW OLD HEAVY 10 + TOOLING +

HI all, got the apron done except, waiting on half nut lever/cam from joe. The saddle, cross slide ,taper attach, paint is drying.Got new cross slide / compound bronze nuts . Ted is sending reverse tumbler gear stud after holidays. Glued new 8 rib serpentine belt with flexible super glue, filled spindle cone pulley and back gear shaft w/ super lube, ran head stock, lower drive, motor for a while, all ran smooth and quiet, large spindle bearing and inside spindle seemed to get a little warm after 15 min tho.
Had to step it up with getting this lathe done as i'll be having shoulder surgery mid jan . :bitingnails:
Thanks to you all for your help, suggestions, advice. I'll post final pics and mach performance results after the first when all parts are in and on.
Do the felt kits/ book normally come with extra felt , I'm sure i got what the book said put in but there is extra felt?.
O yea anyone use machine leveling feet "amazon", with or without rubber pads, as i will not be able to bolt lathe down to floor and thought they might be good ? . I'll probably make 1/4" plates with 1/2" hole to match footprint of castings for them.
Thanks again and y'all have a great holiday
Derrick

Yeah you will have some extra felt with the kit. The bearing should not get warm, I would address that, sounds like it might be a little tight. I can run mine for hours and it never even gets warm. You don't want to gall one of those bearings, they are hard to come by.

Hi all' Been busy with lathe, except for dialing it in and a belt it's DONE. I was running it for a while to see if spindle bearing was still getting warm and my serpentine belt glue let go,"I have a new C link belt headed this way", but bearing stayed cool. Any how still have to clean up chucks & tooling dial in tail stock. chucks are 6" 3-4 jaw south bend " any easy way to clean then up rust"? As you can see i had to make a half ass half nut lever but it will work.Got one off of feebay 99 parts but it had a lot bigger shaft size i think it's for a 16" if anyone needs one
During this refurbish the internals of machine were in remarkably good shape just real dirty but its looking pretty good now i think and should do every thing i need it to. Still need to make it some what mobile tho
"Parts replaced"
all felt
reverse tumbler gear stud
new nuts for cross slide & compound
under drive cone bearings
main belt--- on the way
Thanks to all for your input & help sorry i didn't document all steps as Greg's posts would be hard to beat "Thanks Greg"& Ted
I'll be having rotate r cuff surgery on the 15th so i won't be doing much for a while but i'm glad its back together.
Thanks again "some pics"
Derrick

DSCN4803.JPG DSCN4787.JPG DSCN4802.JPG DSCN4797.JPG DSCN4811.JPG DSCN4816.JPG DSCN4785.JPG DSCN4813.JPG DSCN4807.JPG DSCN4781.JPG

You did a great job. Looks brand new.

Thanks Greg & Ski This lathe will mostly be used with collets drilling shaping copper bullets for writing pens
Any one know an easy one armed way to clean chucks up , thinking of mounting them and using scotch bright then taking them apart and cleaning jaws and such . Also the chuck and back plate at bottom of pic i don't think i can use on 10l 1 1/2 x8 threads, but can use on atlas what are the things sticking out of them for?
Derrick

DSCN4799.JPG DSCN4798.JPG

I just did a clean up on a used Buck I picked up. Look for "chuck woes revisted" in the questions and answers for dome pictures. What I did was take it apart after insuring the jaws were marked as to location. Mine had 2 piece and were all marked. I Made sure there were witness marks on the seperate piece so it would go back together exactly the same and then scrubbed my butt off with scotch brite and purple degreaser. I was not happy so I used oily 240 emery paper to start on the back plate chucked up and spinning. Then I left the guts/jaws off of the chuck and reassembled and did the same using a block to keep the paper flat as possible and cleaned up the rest. Not perfect but way better than I started. Rescrubed the grit off ,lubed and put it together. Wire brushed the jaws. Thanks for posting! Ski

Hi all, So the link belt came in and theirs no way it's going to work it's to thick to fit threw the castings it would beat the heck out them it a c section link . I'll have to order something else, I seem to recall it should be 61 1/2" dose this sound rite for a heavy 10 cast base ?.
So close but i'll have to " hurry up and wait " I'll do searches on serpentine belts / glue , don't feel good with stitching or clips.
Thanks
Derrick

I went with the green belt that Al Bino sells. He talked me through measuring for the new belt and I ended up with 62 3/16" (by 1" wide) which was perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if they vary some from lathe to lathe. I put my adjuster right in the middle and haven't had to change it. I think my original belt was 61 1/2, but it always seemed too tight.

The gluing was pretty straightforward--he sends detailed instructions.

Bill

I went with the green belt that Al Bino sells. He talked me through measuring for the new belt and I ended up with 62 3/16" (by 1" wide) which was perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if they vary some from lathe to lathe. I put my adjuster right in the middle and haven't had to change it. I think my original belt was 61 1/2, but it always seemed too tight.

The gluing was pretty straightforward--he sends detailed instructions.

Bill

I originally tried the serpentine belt...twice. My second belt was a leftover from my Mustang and it lasted longer than the first. Should have gone with the green belt from Al Bino. It's the cat's ass. The gluing has held up much better. I needed something reliable this time since I use it for my business and this belt delivers. Considering a serpentine belt is around $25-35 it's worth paying extra for the right belt with the right glue. Do yourself a favor and and get one of them. I have a buddy who used one too and his is holding up great.

Back